path21

Sep 1, 2008
I had a guy offer me a 79 rm 125 in trade for my 2005 yz 250. Not straight up. He said he wanted $800 for it. I want 2200 for my Yz. Anyhow, i just want to know what his bike is really worth. It looks alright, pipe is good, tank is good, runs well. I'm just lookin for a bike to putt around on. Any idea where to get parts. Any info on this model would be nice. thanks

Jan 27, 2009
i would not do that in a billion years. $800 US is absolutely insane. i had a clean mid 90's rm125 that i picked up for $600 and that was a little expensive even. youve got a good bike there man, if you want a 125 i would just buy a newer 125. your going to be suprized when you want to sell that thing, nobody is going to want it unless you find a collector or something, and parts are going to be through the roof which you will have to buy on an oem part site.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Non power-valved 125 race bikes of that vintage are not usually good to 'putt around on'. The power is usually pretty much on or off. For putting around, you can probably get a decent '89+ KDX200 for around $800, with disc brakes and water cooling.

I don't think there is anything about the '79 RM that makes it especially collectible.

I'm sure if it is in great shape, it would be worth something to a few guys who had one or wanted one back when they were teenagers, but that is a pretty small market.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Depends on the shape of the bike. Good shape and good running, probably a decent deal around here. Great shape, great running, a pretty good deal. But the real question is what is it worth to you?? If you want an old bike and like that model, great. If you aren't particularly interested in that particular bike, you might either pass on the deal or swap, get $1,400 cash, and try to locate a collector or EVO racer that might give you a little more than you paid. Life is a crap shoot and these decisions are never cut and dried.
The thing I've noticed on this site and others in the past few years, is that the sellers of older bikes (at least around here) are usually in no way in agreement with what most people who post believe the value of an older bike really is. Sellers keep overpricing their bikes and most times eventually sell them.
When I bought my old elsinore, I paid $400, but knew it had a piston put in backwards, and needed a piston, machine work to the cylinder, a chain and sprockets before I could even pretend to start it. I also had to drive 8 hours to pick it up and 8 hours back. The positives were that it was 100 percent original and in extremely good cosmetic shape. But I wanted this model of bike because it was what I wanted when I was 15 years old. I absolutely love it and wouldn't sell it for $2,000. That $400 turned into about $1,400 (probably a lot more, but I'm not admitting it) getting it close to where I want it. And I'm still going to spend another $450 sometime for new shocks and cartridge emulators.
But even after I spend that money, the suspension is going to absolutely suck compared to a modern bike. I love riding it, but most people would find it exhausting.

Top Bottom