Jim Havins

Oct 30, 2001
Actually, I was talking about the shock not the forks. Cranked in that tight will affect sharp edge hits. The ones you have to worry about are the ones at the top of a jump face. You may wind up in deep do do....your choice.

Dec 11, 2004
has anyone taken the forks apart on the 06yz250 yet? Just wondering about changing oil, and how much you have to take apart, the manual makes it seem like you have to dissasemble everything on the fork to change oil.???

MXFastGuy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 11, 2001
I tried adding fluid through the bleed hole and could NOT get it to go in. I suppose it would take maybe a drop a minute but I don't have the patience for that. I ended up just pulling the caps and dumping it in.

Jun 21, 2006
Fork tools

christopher in tam said:
chrismxer... No, I havent had them apart yet. I already purchased the tools needed to disassemble them but I'm waiting to put a solid 3 months on the forks before I service them. I did hear though that they fixed the errors that haunted the 05 forks but I dont know first hand... yet

Jim Havins... Yeah the low speed rebound adjustment also effects low speed compression, although I dont think this has become a problem yet. When cranking the rebound adjustment in on these 06 KYB's things dont start happening untill you get them to about 5 or 6 clicks out (from all the way in). I think maybe the low speed rebound may be allowed to flow to freely and this is why I must set it at 4 for it to feel normal. Like, I'm thinking whats 4 on these forks might be simular to 8 or 10 on other forks. This is judging strictly by feel, as I havent had these apart yet to really know. But the high speed rebound (the part that the piston and shim stack controls) doesnt feel too bad, maybe alittle on the fast side but not too bad.

Same goes with the shock, the high speed rebound feels decent enough but the low speed rebound was way too fast. It didnt start feeling right untill I had the rebound set at 7 out (from all the way in). As of now, it feels best at 5 (but can very with track and conditions). Check it out for yourself, next time your at the dealer walk up to a 06 YZ250 and push down on the rear, that sucker will spring back up just as fast as its pushed down. Stock they are set at 9 to 10 out and have almost no low speed rebound damping at that setting.

The low speed rebound on both the forks and the shock is so free flowing and fast that I think any adjustment over 10 clicks wouldnt even be noticable, its that bad!

By the way, does anyone know if these new KYB forks take the same type of shims as normal older KYB forks?

Chris,

I opened up my forks last night after 16+ hours and the fluid was really black, I suppose I left it too long. I couldn't open the cartridge cause I don't have the tool. I am living in Dubai and none of the shops have the tools to overhaul the forks could you tell me the dimensions and I will get one machined locally. I think its 36mm octagonal.... Thanks.

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
MXFastGuy said:
I tried adding fluid through the bleed hole and could NOT get it to go in. I suppose it would take maybe a drop a minute but I don't have the patience for that. I ended up just pulling the caps and dumping it in.
You have to pump the fork up and down so the vacuum pulls the oil in.

Top Bottom