JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
I know this is DIRT RIDER but I just wanted to see what you guys thought.

I have always wanted a street bike and being under 18 it has to be 250 or smaller. I never liked any of the other 250's until this bad boy came out. I am planning on saving up some money and making a down payment. I have a couple questions. Would it be cheaper/better to buy it in the summer or winter? and About how much should i expect to pay a month for it?

Also any of you guys comments on the bike or me buying it are welcome. Personally I love this bike and all the reviews on it have been positive and cant wait to have it.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
yep, you're picking the right bike by all accords. have fun and enjoy your 70mpg. if i had to commute, i would buy one.

all reports i've read, state that these sell as fast as the dealers can get them. i hope you're able to find one.

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
yea thats what i am afraid of when i do go to buy it. everywhere ive looked them up people said they're never in stock. its like wii fitness haha. but the mpg is one of the reasons im buying it. i have to drive like 35-40 min. to work everyday in the summer. so the bike would be a huge gas saver.

digifox

May 25, 2006
Yep....Ask powersports (here in ohio)

Said they have 14 250/500 ordered and there are like 20 people waiting on them

lol the bike is on back order

Apr 30, 2007
Actually, I'd suggest picking up the earlier gen model (88-2007) years...and learn on that...once you dump it over, you won't feel so bad about wrecking your nice shiney bike...You can save yourself a good 2,000 dollars, and the frustrating break in period. They are the best learner bikes out there!

Also...the newer version is a little bit slower by a couple HP.

I have the older version...and it is a guy magnet. (I'm a chick, so the guy magnet thing is a positive thing).

Edited to add:

This bike (mine is an 05) is pretty dang fantastic. I bought it wrecked for 1100 bucks, put 300 in parts on it, and am in the process of riding it to it's death.

Mine rattles like a tin can, leaks a little oil here and there (the other 2005s don't!) and looks like it's been through three crashes with the way the previous owner treated it. The previous owner also tore out the baffles, so it roars rather sickly. Yet I still love it to death, and definitely appreciate the 68-72 mpg.

They even kinda ride like dirtbikes!

Edited some more to add:

As for highway, well, they can be fun on the interstate/freeway for a few miles, but the wind and semi trucks get to be rather annoying.

Last edited:

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
The new ones are pretty sweet! Finally after looking the same for so long!

They actually aren't bad bikes. I had a '99 and really liked it for around town. Didn't like it on the highway though and stuck to the city and back roads.

You can (well could) pick up slightly used ones for pretty cheap. I bought my '99 in '01 with really low miles on it for around $1500...course now everyone wants a bike or moped so they are staying higher priced.

Have fun with it and watch out for the idiots

OH and don't finance it. Save up the money and buy it with cash or buy a slightly used one.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom