09oneL

Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 7, 2008
Pasted from Baja Acres web site:

There’s been allot of gossip of what’s going on so here’s the real deal.

Those who have rode the GP at the Otsego Club all know how awesome the riding and event experience is, some say it’s the best race or ride in the country. Last year there was some property damage to the resort such as bikes and dozers hitting underground mechanical lines and some irresponsible people did donuts on the golf course greens at night. This, in spite of the fact that we tried to predetermine where the underground lines were located and had security etc. etc. etc… So suffice to say that the Otsego Club owners were not happy about it… And yes, the Otsego Club was listed for sale, and the future of the race was uncertain. So all this said, The Otsego Club will not be hosting the event this year. However, throughout the summer we have been working with various Northern Resorts and have not found the right fit for the GP (yet). The good news is that several resorts are interested in hosting the event for 2013.

HOWEVER KEEPING THE CONTINUITY OF THE GP IS CRUCIAL FOR FUTURE OFFSITE EVENTS. The statistics (rider count) we generate is what potential hosts are looking and what they will be using to make their decisions.

That said, we have to keep the momentum of this event! So what do we do?

Our plan is this = First and foremost keep a unique and different riding experience that will draw and keep rider participation.

Have a backup plan just in case we do not acquire a resort host location for 2013. So were getting ready for this worst case scenario now. Baja Acres was planning on hosting this years GP at Baja, but due to time restrictions, delayed township approvals thus not getting the word out for riders to plan. In the best interest of all parties is for Baja Acres to do a Grand Prix open practice with ADDING 20 ACRES OF ADJACENT LAND TO THE TRACK!!! That’s right 20 acres! BAJA JUST GREW!!!

The area where the sand pit is, that you have all been staring at for years (past the top of Kong) is free game. It’s going to create a whole new +/- 3 mile track. Yep, we will run directional changes, woods sections, elevation changes, minimal jumps for all rider abilities and disciplines to enjoy. Its gonna be bad ass!!!

We have the adjacent land owners’ permission but need approval from the township for a temporary variance to make the event happen! The township meeting is on Thursday, Sept 20th at 7pm. At that time we will let everyone know if it’s on.

RECAP- So if all goes well= on Oct 6&7 Baja Acres will host a Support Great Lakes Grand Prix Open Practice with a 3 mile track that includes 20 acres of additional land. Ride times are from 12-pm-5pm free overnight camping with a bonfire on Saturday night with Big Screen entertainment

We would hope that everyone would support this event because for the past 3 years allot of people have sacrificed time and money for a dream of the ultimate motocross riding experience!

Thanks for everyone’s support & patience.

09oneL

Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 7, 2008
I am disappointed that the event is not going on. It truly was my favorite event in the world, but I am super happy that they are doing this in hopes of continuing the spirit.

One benefit to the open ride idea is I can actually party this time and not have to be in top condition for the race.

It still sounds like a great time for woods riders and moto guys to get together. I'm in for sure!! I hope to see some of you guys too.

Yam7M

Mi. Trail Riders
Jun 3, 2008
Too bad that some childish morons went and did damage to the golf course. Hope those pricks are proud!

Sorry to hear this....and I hope that the find a venue.

Top Bottom