Good for Brayton and Milsaps.
Windham... almost a podium.

Come on Daytona!

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
If Dungey could ride as fast at the beginning of the race at the end he'd be the champ. He had the fastest lap times at the end and almost caught RV.

Thanks for not mentioning Stewart...wait a minute...who?

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
RM_guy said:
If Dungey could ride as fast at the beginning of the race at the end he'd be the champ. He had the fastest lap times at the end and almost caught RV.

If you look up the lap times, his laps were slower 12 to 20 than they had been 2 to 11. yet RV was faster every lap from 2 to 11, when RD's laps were his fastest, Both riders slowed down at the end, RV more than RD but he then picked it up lap 18 and had a much faster lap than RD.

Both Stewart (who had 9 laps faster than RD) and Brayton (who had 5 laps faster than RD) had their fastest lap faster than RD's fastest lap. RD had a good start and was fairly consistent, that is why he got 2nd.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Daytona SX tonight on Speed @ 6:30 CT

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
RM_guy said:

Did you notice that Stewart won last night? By a long shot...

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Uh, yeah...did you notice Dungy wasn't there? ;)

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
Reed was there, in the booth!!

Kdub got stuck behind Davi and Bubba at the start. Kdub seemed a little faster than Davi, but just couldn't get around him. Kdub had several laps faster than Davi, would catch him and have to slow because of the roost.. Then lap 8 a lapper went down in front of Kdub and that lap was 10 seconds slower than lap 7. He got back up to speed after that but wasn't really closing on Davi.

RV obviously is not a Mudder!!

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
The track was mostly one line in the mud. Catching and passing were 2 completly different things!

RVs crash was really something to see. He was bound and determined not to let go of the bike. At 1 or 2 or maybe even 3 times I thought he just might save it.

skiz

May 22, 2010
HiG4s said:
RV obviously is not a Mudder!!
I thought he displayed great mudder skills. . He passed most of guys on the track. . After his faceplant he was 3rd to last + yet finished 5th

Its interesting to see how the change of surface effects guys differently, hardpack, thick tacky mud, soft + soupy mud, sand. . I would say Villopoto shows the best consistency from surface to surface among the current top riders

There was a big big difference from different parts of the course. . There was the thick tacky, the soft + soupy, + then there was a submerged section that most riders were just keeping their front tire light + jumping over the deepest water troughs. . Everyone was much slower battling to stay balanced in the thicker tackier mud sections. . But some riders were really attaking the softer soupier sections. . I notice Villopoto was taking an outside berm line on some turns so he could build speed to attack the softer sections + hit the section with the 2 big air triples

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001

He is still a great rider but not a mudder.. Whether he has won or not he has posted the fastest lap times all season, and yet in the mud his fastest lap was slower than 7 of Bubba's laps, 4 of Millsap's laps and 3 of Kdub's laps. His average lap time was about the same as Kdub and slower than Millsaps and Bubba, and all three of them slowed down the last 4 laps and RV did not.

YamaB

Apr 2, 2004
RM_guy said:
RVs crash was really something to see. He was bound and determined not to let go of the bike. At 1 or 2 or maybe even 3 times I thought he just might save it.

It always makes me feel good to see the best riders in the world occasionally look like me out there. :)

skiz

May 22, 2010
HiG4s said:
He is still a great rider but not a mudder.
On the muddiest track of the year, if a guy passes 13 riders and finishes ahead of all of the best riders in the world except 4 other guys, I would call that guy a mudder

Can Villopoto compete for the spot of the top mudder in the world ? . Those lap times you posted would seem to answer "No"

Watching the race it seemed that he was just as fast + aggressive in the soft + soupy mud as Steward but he really struggled in the thick + tacky. . He definitely had some balance issues in the ruts.

I would think that theres been a good number of thick tacky rut races in the Nationals over the past few years. . That might be the one type of motocross racing that will always give Villopoto 0the most trouble

Altho Steward has been off the bike alot lately, theres been a large number of times that his attack style has put him in bad positions that hes been able to save. . Maybe that frequent practice at saving himself from bad positions has helped him when the ruts are throwing him around

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Anyone remember when Carmichael lapped everyone at a muddy national. I don't remember where it was but guys were getting their bikes buried in the mud and Ricky rode by like it was dry. After that I consider him the top mud rider.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
RM_guy said:
Anyone remember when Carmichael lapped everyone at a muddy national. I don't remember where it was but guys were getting their bikes buried in the mud and Ricky rode by like it was dry. After that I consider him the top mud rider.
Millville.
That's what was so amazing about RC... he stunk in the mud when he first turned Pro, but improved and became dominant. Whenever somebody a click or two quicker came along (JS) Ricky was able to bring it up a notch, creating faster more consistent speed and wins.

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
skiz said:
On the muddiest track of the year, if a guy passes 13 riders and finishes ahead of all of the best riders in the world except 4 other guys, I would call that guy a mudder

What ever!!!!

But seeing as the only two riders that have been able to keep up with RV all year were not at the race, the and 4 riders he was slower than have not had RVs speed on a dry track all year, and 3 of those 4 were not even very close to as fast on dry all year means he is considerably slower (compared to other riders) in the mud than he is on dry. Not sure how you can all that a mudder, but you just go ahead. :bang:

skiz

May 22, 2010
HiG4s said:
What ever!!!!
You find it offensive when someone disagrees with you ?
HiG4s said:
But seeing as the only two riders that have been able to keep up with RV all year were not at the race
Theres 3 riders that can keep up with Vill + Steward was at Daytona busy winning the race So you define mudder as someone that not only excels in mud riding skills but also shows a big decrease in competitiveness in the dry ?

If thats how mudder is defined thats OK with me. . It really doesnt matter to me

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001

Mudder is a term borrowed from horse racing, it just means A racehorse that runs well on a wet or muddy track. That is all it means, nothing more. Has no meaning relating to dry track conditions. But if you want to make up definitions you can say anything means anything you want to you.

But I do fine it offensive when people make up definitions of words to argue their point of view.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
RM_guy said:

Carmichael also had a great mud ride at Daytona in '03.

He lapped everyone but 2nd place Reed and 3rd place Tim Ferry.

He easily could have lapped Ferry, too, but RC backed it way down the last few laps.

Total domination.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
I think a mudder who is anyone who can finish a race! It is amazing the balance and effort that goes into racing a bike in those conditions.

Anyone who did not DNF (except mechanical) get kudos in my book.

Ivan

skiz

May 22, 2010
Come on HiG4, were not talking face to face here. . Everything thats been said is WRITTEN down right above this post Is that the definition youre talking about ?

Read thru the whole thread + see if theres any other definition. . The only definition offered was offered by YOU. . You brought up the concept that dry results factored in somehow
HiG4s said:
But I do fine it offensive when people make up definitions of words to argue their point of view.
Then I guess youre offended at your own definition by your own words

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…