220 KDX Cutting out under load

K Dixon

Oct 25, 2002
Occasionally, when bike is warm, it wants to die (won't rev up)under acceleration. It is an intermittent condition. Carb is clean, valves operating, float level good, pipe & silencer clean,
fresh fuel, good compression and same jetting I have always used for the conditions. I have noticed that at idle the rpm will drop noticeably when the light is turned on. Has anyone had similar problems? Solution? I hate electrical problems :bang:

cicone

Sep 29, 2003
Intermittent is the key word. If it runs great the rest of the time, the problem may well be electrical in nature---as they tend to appear most as components heat up. Check the resistance on your stator coil. If the coil is going bad the problem will worsen over time until the bike won't run at all. Also, it seems most often to manifest itself early on by breaking up at high RPM---kinda like the engine just doesn't want to catch on and wind out. Good luck.

K Dixon

Oct 25, 2002
Cicone: You describe the problem better than I did, however the trigger coil checks out OK on a meter.I now suspect the CDI, but at over $400.00 CDN I would rather know for sure before buying one. Problem is that even if it checks out in regards to resistance readings, the shop manuel states that it or the trigger coil, could still be bad. They suggest replaceing them and see what happens ( Fine for them to say.They get the money!)

cicone

Sep 29, 2003
Rule number one for testing electronics: If it tests bad, it's probably bad. If it tests good, it could be bad anyway. Sooo---what to do? Find someone with the same bike/coil and toss it in there. If that fixes it, you're done. BTW, I have the chart for testing the CDI with a multimeter---only a couple of the values matched---in my opinion it's useless. If you think it's the CDI, let the dealer test it with their equipment---but just remember rule number one. Also, you may want to check all the wiring connections under the fuel tank---make sure they're clean and tight. Always start with the cheap stuff before dropping the big bucks. Good luck.

Top Bottom