dougjc

Mar 23, 2003
I have a 2003 220. I changed the jetting to lean out a bit, added FMF gnary pipe and silencer, and drilled holes in the airbox. I know the 220 is supposed to be the torgue monster, but I find at low RPM, even in second gear, it will tend to bog. This can really be a problem, especially when climbing long rocky hills. If I mess up and start to lose momemtum, it often will start to bog down and recovery in 1st gear is tough because the rear wheel starts losing traction. Another guy an an older 220 (1997) said he has the same issue. I often watch some of the guys on 4 strokes mess up and just keep chugging along uphill, even at low RPM. I run about 40:1 mix and live in the east, so lower elevations. Anyway, any thoughts on this?

Thanks

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Yes.

My thoughts are you should check out CDave's site regarding carb setup.

Given that there are no mechanical problems, your pilot circuit is not adjusted correctly.

CDave's site is linked in the thread 'stickied' to the top of this forum entitled, 'Every kdx rider should read....'

Colorado Mike

Jun 28, 2004
Like Canyn says, you gotta rejet. I just added a FMF gnarley to my bike and went too lean on the pilot for the first outing. I had to crank my air screw down to only 1/4 turn open to get the thing to even run under a load.

Good Luck,
Mike.

rlbranson

Dec 24, 2003
There is a plug with a screwdriver slot that you can remove with a large screwdriver on the left side of the cylinder. If the gear inside does not rotate as you rev it up then your Kawasaki Reduced Automatically Power System is not working. I am having that problem. If your powervalve system isn't working you will lose the low end power. Check that before you go farther. 2 strokes can pull strongly at low rpm, all those trials bikes are smokers

bob

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Remember too, you have a clutch. When the bike bogs on hill climbs and a down shift will cost too much momentum, pull lightly with one or two fingers on the clutch until you hear the rpms build up. Once back into the power band, keep working the clutch to stay at the rpm needed to generate enough horsepower to get up the obstical. (Man, my spelling is bad!) By mastering the clutch and throttle, you should get better at hill climbing.

bcVulcan

Nov 13, 2002
thegraydog said:
But a two-stroke cannot be made into a four-stroke. Being able to crawl up hills is a really good thing. Try a TTR.

You don't need a TTR :eek:
Just learn to use that clutch. Keep one finger on it on all hillclimbs. :cool:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: 'Raise the needle by dropping the clip 1'

Don't take this to mean CDave is wrong when he says the opposite. He's not.

Rejet to (at least) CDave's recommendation, adjust the airscrew for best off-idle throttle reponse.

Having a KIPS problem with an '03 would be odd but it wouldn't hurt to check it. It (checking) will cost you nothing and take all of a minute to look into.

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
I have a PC pipe, and followed the jettting tips, and call Fredette. They bolth suggest stock jetting will work fine. Open up your carb, and find out exactly what size jets are actually in your carb. My bike was way overjetted, and I rolled mine off the showroom floor. I'm running a 42/145 clip in the middle, and I drop it down when it gets real hot.... 1st and 2nd gear wheelies at will...

billc

Mar 13, 2004
My 220 with a ProCircuit pipe runs really good with stock jetting.I might/maybe adjust things a little to experiment,but I do not think that I need to.
Don't rejet just because other guys say you should.

Top Bottom