220 oem piston breakage????

ek415

Jan 22, 2002
Anyone out there have experience with oem 220 pistons breaking?? How worried should I be about this?? I've got an 02' 220 with a PC pipe and no airbox lid, otherwise stock. It's a ripper with those 2 mods compared to my buddy's stocker, but I'm worried that the additional mid and upper range revs are not healthy for the oem piston??? I've put about 500 miles on it since it left the showroom.

nectar

Sep 11, 2002
...I changed my to weisco this past winter, but it ran with stock piston for a few seasons...I changed it since it was worn past spec., but other than that it looked fine, no cracks, etc....You may want to pull the jug to clean kips and chg. to weisco for peace of mind....Paid like 140.00 frp, piston, bearing, pin, base and head gasket....btw, my mods, fmf pipe/silc.....stock jetting....removed snorkel....

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
I am giving it an educated guess, but I'd say that if you were running a stock motor, the stock piston should be fine. But if you have a pipe or other mod, I believe these enable to engine to run in a higher rpm range, for longer durations of time than stock. This  is probably at least part of what causes this problem...

Since you have a pipe on it, I'd say change it!! is it worth saving the money for the $100 piston kit and the $30-40 gasket kit? If the piston grenades itself i can promise you it will cost more.......

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
I had a wisco blow this spring! Change it and do it offen! the 220 piston was a tough piston @ that time to buy! call jeff fredette he alway's has them in stock, plus every thing else you'll ever need for that 220. 708-946-0999

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom