Re-Jetting After Airbox Lid Removal - KDX 220

trojanfan

Feb 19, 2006
Okay, I have been searching and reading the threads on jetting, but I haven't found a definitive answer to my question.

Box stock 2002 KDX 220. I live in Tenn (500 ft above SL). I want to remove the Airbox Lid. Will the bike require rejetting after removal?

Some threads say this will lean the bike out and others say it will richen it out. Some say not to rejet, others say to change the main. Fredette makes no comment in his KDX Mods article about rejetting after getting rid of the frisbee. Seems logical that it would lean it out. Friends who have made similar mods on their bikes (other brands) have richened the mixture to avoid frying their piston.

I am being cautious because it is not my bike. I am trying it out with possibility of purchase and want to see what this mod will do for performance.

What say you, oh wise ones?

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
Its something you will have to exaime yourself. If jetting is stock, its probably on the rich side to begin with. You should be re-jetting anyway to get the engine at optimum response anyway. I have mine off and then cut a pair of my pantyhose, I mean my wifes pantyhose over & fit over the air box opening as a pre-filter.

trojanfan

Feb 19, 2006
Thanks

Green Hornet:

Thanks. My main concern was doing this mod and ruining the bike (since its not mine) before I could get the jetting dialed in. On my friends Honda 4-stroke, he was told he had to rejet after taking off the airbox lid, otherwise the engine would get damaged on start.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Green Hornet is correct, the bike is jetted very rich stock, so it should be OK for a bit of tooling around. But I'd check it as soon as possible.

PS Green Hornet.... interesting little slip.... :nener:

Red_Chili

Nov 30, 2005
trojanfan said:
Green Hornet:

Thanks. My main concern was doing this mod and ruining the bike (since its not mine) before I could get the jetting dialed in. On my friends Honda 4-stroke, he was told he had to rejet after taking off the airbox lid, otherwise the engine would get damaged on start.

That is a bit of an overstatement. It won't grenade on start. It may very well be extremely difficult to start if way lean... and it will run like crap if way lean... but it won't grenade on start.

I would say you have adequate margin for error, and if you get the lean "buh-WAAA" effect on full throttle, it's lean. Buy a range of mains and bracket the mix, you'll do fine.

TRAYL RYDR

Mar 20, 2007
I'm not sure how old this thread is and i am new to this site, but i have some answers for you about rejetting.

1) I agree with the others who say Kawisaki sells their 02 KDX 220r on the rich side.

2) I have had an FMF torque pipe on my bike, have the airbox lid removed, and carbon fibre reeds (with restrictor cages removed) for the past 2 yrs and MY BIKE IS STILL HAS ALL THE FACTORY SETTINGS AND JETTING, with the exception that i moved the needle up a couple of notches.

3) I am running at 477 feet elevation and even higher than that sometimes. I run on any kind of terrain, jumps, tracks, anything...and i'm not easy on her. the plug burns golden brown.

4) I tore her down last week and i could have put her back together and drove for another season, but i miss that fresh hit she had when she was new. The piston top is black and the combustion chamber looked like someone just polished it.

This is my experience, as long as you don;t start porting and polishing your cylinder and changing the crossectional area of your ports you should be fine. Just do a couple of plug chops after you remove the airbox lid.

Cheers,

Darcy

trojanfan said:
Okay, I have been searching and reading the threads on jetting, but I haven't found a definitive answer to my question.

Box stock 2002 KDX 220. I live in Tenn (500 ft above SL). I want to remove the Airbox Lid. Will the bike require rejetting after removal?

Some threads say this will lean the bike out and others say it will richen it out. Some say not to rejet, others say to change the main. Fredette makes no comment in his KDX Mods article about rejetting after getting rid of the frisbee. Seems logical that it would lean it out. Friends who have made similar mods on their bikes (other brands) have richened the mixture to avoid frying their piston.

I am being cautious because it is not my bike. I am trying it out with possibility of purchase and want to see what this mod will do for performance.

What say you, oh wise ones?

Top Bottom