220 or 200 what is betterfor the huge climbs

know_fear

May 19, 2000
In stock form the 200 will rev higher than a stock 220 and probably has more peak HP. The 220 has it's usable power range at lower revs and therefore is a little easier for new riders. The 220 has much more "room for improvement" than a 200 does though. My 220 has an FMF rev pipe, the enlarged "RB" carb. and Boyesen reeds. To match its power with a 200 you'd probably have to have the cylinder ported and run race gas. The only reason to run a 200 would be for qualifying in an under 200 racing class. IMHO.

jacobone

Feb 3, 2003
think the 220 because it has more low end and with some power mods it could real climb hills.... but u r talking about just riding not like compition hilling right

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Check Canadian Daves KDX forum to get the answer to the question. Also click on the "What every KDX onwer should know" thread at the top of the forum and it will take you to a website that has compared the two bikes. Regardless of what as been mentioned in this thread I understand the 200 is easier to make faster than the 220 because of the port timeing that comes stock in them.

beer_stud_76

Mod Ban
Aug 30, 2002
ok...i just have to butt in at this point.

i'm with john stu, more or less. for "huge" hillclimbs, the 200 or 220 both basically blow. yes, virginia, with the right rider they can get up most anything, but with one of us mere mortals aboard "huge" hill climbs are somewhat worrisome.

just my $.02

Paul Nurmi

Apr 24, 2002
Before I bought my KDX220, I had concerns of its climbing ability. And with a torque pipe and 13/52 gearing, it's a real billy goat climbing mountains in Northern Nevada, but with any small bore, gear selection and rpm must be dialed in. Also, it's more than just torque to motor up a steep incline with obstacles, its call agility which the KDX has.

Top Bottom