firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Anyone interested in putting together as many women's teams as possible for the 24 Hour GP at Starvation ridge?

Details Here

There won't be a women's class unless we put together 5 teams. No big deal.

Teams are of up to 6 people and up to 6 bikes. Entry fees are $300 per team.

10-11 mile loops. Riders can switch whenever they want--after one lap, after two, etc.

Sounds like fun . . . who's in? Bbbom? Others?

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Day off, ha ha. :confused:

The GP is at Starvation Ridge, down by Goldendale. I think Pegasus and/or The Ant are familiar with the terrain. I rode there a long time ago when Goodnoe Hills opened, then closed; Goodnoe Hills was cool, and sorta like Wenatchee in terrain. Rolling hills, sage brush and rocks. Don't know if Starvation Ridge is similar or not.

I leave for Olympia at noon to be a bridesmaid in a friend's wedding. You should see the dress . . . I feel like a freaking Barbie doll. Gag. Oh well I suppose I can stand it for a couple of hours or so. Then it's time to change! Gonna ride with Splatt and Dirty~D on Sunday, might as well see some friendly faces while I'm over there.

Altagirl, are you thinking of making the long trek up here for it? That'd be GREAT but a long drive for you!

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Fall sometime . . . go down to the bottom of the Starvation Ridge page, I think there are some tentative dates there.

altagirl

~SPONSOR~
Mar 17, 2003
Actually, when I wrote it I was pretty much rambling about how it sounded fun (though Craig and I are road warriors when we get our minds set on wanting to do something...), but now that I think about it - I'm going to have to drive to Seattle (my bosses concept of "Seattle" covers sites from Bellingham to Portland) a couple times this fall for work. It would be really cool if that ended up working out in the schedule - unfortunately the only info I have for my work travel schedule for this project is "sometime this fall". Luckily my part of it is doing random safety inspections, which makes it convenient when I want to schedule around things. So at this point it's probably only a remote possibility, but I'll keep an eye on the calendar!

Last edited:

bratt

Pain in da butt
Mar 22, 2002
Hey! I would be interested if you can get enough teams for a women's class. Its a long drive for me so if there's not enough girls it won't really be worth the drive. Let me know so I can set aside the time off.

The Ant

Jan 3, 2002
Go to OMRA Online, then calendar, then scroll down to Nov 8, 24 hr team race.
They say they've totally reconfigured the course out there, took out the quarter mile mud bog fall down get up fall down by the pits, took out much of the rocky section, made it a whole lot more twisty and technical plus a bunch more improvements back in the fall, so I haven't been there to see the new and improved, they say its nearly as good as the Euro course now, which would be great.
However, I believe that's the same weekend as the Elsinore Gran Prix, which we're going down to do for sure.
-Susan
BBR230

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
I would LOVE to do that! So how does it usually work? Two hour rides at a time? Sharla, how far across the Oregon Border is this place?

4EverOrange

~SPONSOR~
Mar 9, 2003
Natalie -

It's about an hour out of Portland.

You trade off each lap, and the laps are 11-12 miles. I was told it's about 20 minutes a lap.

BTW - To get an idea, from Portland it took 5 hours to drive to Grants Pass, and that was towing a trailer.

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Oh my gosh, that would be like 12 hours of driving! I'd rather fly and borrow a bike, but I bet that chance is slim. I'll see if bratt's up for a road trip. It sure sounds like a lot of fun.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Well if it's a team race, then there would be more than one bike up for grabs. Someone else can do a lap on mine, I don't care. However for an event like this some spare parts might be nice to have on hand . . . anticipating what might get broken is the hard part though! It's always the ONE weird thing you didn't think to buy.

I suppose plugs and masterlinks and levers and such are pretty standard good ideas to have on hand.

The Ant

Jan 3, 2002
Its a bit over 100 miles from Portland east on I-84 to Biggs, then north maybe 10 miles to the race site, which is actually in Washington, off the road that goes to Goldendale.
It says the Starvation Ridge course is now 10 or 11 miles long, can have up to 6 person teams. And o'course would have to figure out lights for the bike if it doesn't have them. Doesn't say how they want you to divide up the laps on this one.
We did a four hour team race at the Euro GP, and they didn't care how you divided up the laps, so we did two and two, that course was about 7 miles long and took me 22 minutes each, think Randy was in the 18 minute range.
It was really fun.
-Susan
BBR230

MudnRocks

Apr 15, 2003
Hey Natalie and Brat, you gals should really do this!!! I think it will be unforgetable, and it will be so awesome to see you again Nat.. I'm trying to generate interest here, in my part of the country and get together one and hopefully two teams.
I'm pretty sure the team gets to decide how they want to devide the time. I think I read it on the 24hour rules (can't remember), but also scoot on ktm talk said that that's the way it is.
As for extra parts, hmmmm.... what to have on hand and what to have on me.
There's alot of planning to do. Hope I'm not to pooped to ride. lol

Chat later, Happy Trails

Kimberly

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Susan, you mean you have to get off your bike every 20 minutes or so? Didn't you get tired of such short spurts? Did you meet any other teams that rode for 1-2 hours at a time. I would think if it was done that way, you could at least count on a decent shift of SLEEP before your turn was up again! lol! If you rode it like an enduro, you'd only have to ride for (two) 2-hour stints and that would be twelve hours apart to boot!

I see the one lap per person thing as a way to keep the overall team speed fresh, but after the first 8 hours of this, I'd be wore out from all the ride/wait/ride/wait/ride/wait etc...

Okay, obviously I'm a total rookie at this 24 hour GP thing......one thing I do know, it sounds like heaps of fun!!

:yeehaw:

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
I've done tag team hare scrambles and the 20 minute laps are great--they allow you to ride HARDER since you don't have to conserve as much energy. You can go all-out for 20 minutes instead of just trying to hang on for 2 hours. I prefer it, personally.

The Ant

Jan 3, 2002
Yeah, Natalie, the team race we did was only 4 hours long, so we did 2 laps each, then 2 more each, then 1 more each, then 1 more each again - wanted to keep the laps even as our time ran out. And by going for short spurts like that it is easier to go harder and know you can rest and eat a bit between "on" times.
However, a 24 hour deal would be a whole nother kettle o' fish. Especially at night, if you could arrange rotations so riders could actually get a nap in would probably be good. And you could come up with a plan, but change as needed, depending on how people felt, at least at ours they didn't care how you broke it up.
-Susan
BBR230

bratt

Pain in da butt
Mar 22, 2002
Nat,
Let me double check that the Liliputian Harescrambles at Prairie aren't that weekend. I WILL finish that course if it kills me. If they aren't on the same weekend I would love to road trip with you!!

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Bratt, I checked the Bearfoot Enduro schedule too, and it is not on the same weekend, so that's clear too!!!

Maybe we can do this!!!! :)

4EverOrange

~SPONSOR~
Mar 9, 2003
Bratt and Natalie-

If you want I am putting together a women's team. So far it's me, Firecracker, a woman I know from Oregon, and hopefully Tami from the ride school. I need 2 more women for a complete team.

Let me know if you're interested.

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
You talked Tami into it?? Tami from Oakland? Holy cow, she's wicked fast! Is MudnRocks in? or does she have another team started. Bratt and I are seriously looking at the possibilities. I need to find out what it will take to get up there, etc. If you find two other women before we commit, go for it, but we are seriously trying to find a way to do this. Count us in as "Way Want In Maybe's"

4EverOrange

~SPONSOR~
Mar 9, 2003
lol Tami is still like you. She is interested but not ready to commit. I think she had to check the race schedule too.

MudnRocks is putting together a team of her own.

I am so excited! It will be awesome to have you guys up here!

Top Bottom