for

Feb 20, 2002
With a 240 kit, you end up with a 500-size piston, which is MUCH heavier than the stock piston. That limits how fast the engine can rev up, as well as limiting how high the engine can rev.

No way! This is just not true. The 240 kit uses a 72 mm piston, exactly the same size as a current KTM300, which is almost square at 72x73. The bigger piston will be heavier, yes, but it's not MUCH heavier, especially seeing as it's an aftermarket item (usually lighter).

Offsetting the greater weight is all that extra gas pressure -- 20% more potential bang accelerating the slug up to speed. In fact, everything else being equal, the engine will rev up faster than the stocker because you have bigger explosions acting upon flywheels, etc designed for a smaller engine.

As for limiting the engine speed, I don't think so. I'll bet that your revs are limited in practice much more by the pipe design, carb size, and other things. The main penalty on revs comes with an increase in the stroke, not the bore. The 240 kit does not increase the stroke and thus the mean piston speed. The extra inertial loading of the wider piston is nothing compared to that produced by a longer stroke.

My 240 revs out beautifully, with great overrev too. I'm sure that most of the increase would probably have come in the low and midrange, but the top is also very impressive. It runs a 180 main jet, which gives some indication of how much extra power it's making up top.

I wish I could compare it to a similarly set up bike without the big bore. I think it would smoke it everywhere. Even so, if I hadn't bought the bike with the kit installed, I doubt I would go for such a radical modification. It really is a bit crazy, and I don't know if I'd recommend it on principle.

Also, remember that the 225 is a straight bore job, whereas the 240 uses a new sleeve with plenty of meat. Boring out a stock sleeve will leave you with thinner iron than the designers intended. Choose your poison.

Craig.

Lutz

Oct 3, 2001
Craig,
You're right. The 240 piston is not really 500 size; I said that based on what I thought I remembered from talking to Eric Gorr. Now that I actually think back to what he said, what he really told me was that the piston used in the 240 kit is machined from the same raw slug as 500 pistons. What you end up with is a really cut up 500 piston. So it is not actually 500 size, but it is big; the stock kdx 200 bore is 66mm, the stock 220 is 69mm. So I guess it's not as big as I had originally thought.

So I jumped the gun on my statements about piston weight and perfromance; while the statements were founded in fact, the effects are probably not as drastic as I made them out to be. I appologize to everyone who may have got the wrong idea from them.

The intention of my first post was to say that the 240 kit can be done right, so that it runs great, but that the 225 kit is more highly recommended by the pros, and will work better than the 240 kit "out of the box."

Regards,
Lutz

for

Feb 20, 2002
Hey Lutz, no worries. I completely agree with you that it's easier to do a good 225 job than a 240. As I said in my previous post, I don't know if I'd go the 240 route myself or recommend it, just on principle.

Kawasaki designed the KDX200 engine with particular gas scavenging paths in the cylinder and whatever. It's hard to believe that hogging out the thing so much cannot have some sort of adverse effect upon the design.

Then again, the proof is in the pudding as they say, and my engine really seems to work. I don't know... I suppose I'd say it's a feasible modification for those willing to put in the time, money, and effort to sort it out. If my experience is anything to go by, the jetting will need major attention, for example.

There's also the matter of the uncoated liner. I pulled my top end down a couple of days ago for the first time and, sure enough, it's plain cast iron. I would recommend having the liner coated with a Nikasil-type process to anyone contemplating the 240 kit so that it's done properly from the start.

Cheers,

Craig

Again, for anyone reading this later my jetting is at: (click on link)
www.copperleife.com/craig/bikes/album/pages/44_kdx200.htm

gasman

Nov 27, 2000

3 years down the road from the initial 240 post I am going to share my conclusion.

I had both the 240 big bore kit from LA Sleeve and the 220 kit from Eric Gorr (he says 225 but it really uses the 220 piston). Eric's kit is really great. It has a smooth power delivery and will pull a one tooth larger countershaft sprocket. Easier to jet also.

Beware, his packing and shipping is absolutely awful. I sent him 4 cylinders and had to send 2 of 'em back for him to fix due to his shipping technique.

gasman

Nov 27, 2000

I never got the 240 to really pull hard all the way up. I was frustrated at that. Great bottom end. I suppose it is inherent in a large bore/short stroke set up. The thing had killer torque but I ride the mid- to upper range so it didn't work as well for me. Remember, this set up was for the '83-85 KDX. I can't tell you about the modern bikes.

19Brendan81

Mar 6, 2005
Guys I have been told before that you cant overbore the 89-94 200's, Is this garbage? I am keen to go to 220, or 240 if its possible. Re-sleeving is fine, my current bore is shot to pieces...really its worthless.

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
You can have the 240 LA Sleeve kit installed on the E series KDX's. But according to Eric Gorr you'll loose your powervalves in the process. I don't think that would be a fair trade off. Your better off keeping it a 200 and just looking around for a replacement cylinder.

rompnstomp

Jun 1, 2004
I have a '97 KDX 220 that Eric Gorr put the 240 kit on. Had to go with leaner jetting across the spectrum (including changing needles), but it runs hard all the way up. This is with a stock pipe/silencer combination as I originally got the bike for my wife. I'll never change that combo as I ride a 300EXC most of the time. I've been considering parting the KDX out but have no clue if anyone would be interested in the bored motor or not. We've got about 20 hours on it now without a hiccup. Jetting was the kicker...kept thinking I shouldn't be getting so lean, but I'm thinking that's a by-product of running the stock exhaust with the 240.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
rompnstomp said:
I have a '97 KDX 220 that Eric Gorr put the 240 kit on. Had to go with leaner jetting across the spectrum (including changing needles), but it runs hard all the way up. This is with a stock pipe/silencer combination as I originally got the bike for my wife. I'll never change that combo as I ride a 300EXC most of the time. I've been considering parting the KDX out but have no clue if anyone would be interested in the bored motor or not. We've got about 20 hours on it now without a hiccup. Jetting was the kicker...kept thinking I shouldn't be getting so lean, but I'm thinking that's a by-product of running the stock exhaust with the 240.

You should be leaner with a big bore. The larger bore size pulls much more volume with each stroke, which means much higher air velocity through the carb, which means a lot more fuel pulled at the carb. It's common to have to go down a few jet sizes to get a big more to work.

tomfoolery

Jan 10, 2004
Have any of you ever tried to order another 92mm piston. My bore is still good and I mic'ed the cyl. no out of round. But no one, including L.A. sleeve sells another standard size piston for the big bore kit.

If I knew it would be this hard to find pistons and gaskets I would have left it stock. The gaskets can be ordered through cometic directly but not at the corner motorcycle shop. The 240cc piston I can't find anywhere. TOM

foots

Aug 20, 2003
tomfoolery said:
Have any of you ever tried to order another 92mm piston. My bore is still good and I mic'ed the cyl. no out of round. But no one, including L.A. sleeve sells another standard size piston for the big bore kit.

If I knew it would be this hard to find pistons and gaskets I would have left it stock. The gaskets can be ordered through cometic directly but not at the corner motorcycle shop. The 240cc piston I can't find anywhere. TOM

Call Wiseco direct

Top Bottom