monkeyonahill

Aug 12, 2006
Alright, i was wondering if a 250 2-stroke would be too much for me. i've riden a '00 CR 250 a few times and love the power, MUCH more than my '01 CR 125.

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
-140 lbs, athletic, 5'11", still growing (will be maybe 6'1"-6'3")
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
-I'm pretty physical and am mildly aggressive
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
-I ride in the dunes, find good lips and jump out there. I'll also be riding MX/SX tracks.
4) Do you have any riding experience?
-Ride an '01 CR 125R for a while, and i have ridden a '00 CR 250R and have been able to keep it controlled
5) Do you think you will race ?
-I may race a few times, MX of course, maybe some hare scrambles or desert races.
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
-I currently do my own work on my 125, can do new top ends, clutches, rejett, clean the carb, reeds, exhaust, ect ect.. just dont think im ready for bottom ends :coocoo:
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
-KTM/Honda and 250 2-stroke
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
-i'll probably be buying used, closest KTM dealershipis about 1hr 15 minutes away, closest Honda dealer is 45 minutes.
9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike?
-I'll probably have around $4k, but i'd like to spend only about $3k.

I'm looking at the newer KTM 250SX's and the Honda CR 250's, any ups/downs? i've heard that the KTM's are somewhat infamous for their suspension, but great motors, and the newer model CR's (anything after mid-90's) dont have as great of an engine as they used to. My little cr 125 just isn't being reliable for me, and i love the extra power of the 250 2-strokes, i can climb and jump most of the good size dunes in 3rd gear and it flys, i try it on my 125 and it does work out near as well. any input would be great, thanks!

Octane250F

Uhhh...
Oct 21, 2006
Id go with a YZ 250. KTM's motors are great, but their suspension isnt the best. Honda, well, Honda isnt what they used to be, IMO. They still are a decent bike but they arent the leader they once were.

Moose

~SPONSOR~
Sep 16, 2006
You're my age. I'm also 20 pounds heavier, and 6 inches taller than you. There's no way I'd be riding a 250 2 stroke primarily. It might be the experience though, This is my first bike and my first year riding. But I love the 125, just because I can push it in 3rd-4th gear, and the power...it's just, there for me. I'd wait a couple years buddy, or you'll be seeing a lot more Hospital's. IMHO.

Hooner33

Jul 17, 2006
I just read in a dirt rider/dirt something or another mag. that the top 250 2smokers in running order from 1st to last is...
1. YZ 250 for its great low to mid, with all new great susp. :boss:

2. RM 250 great susp. very easy to ride(circles/turing), and the motor has spoken for its self the last few years.

3. KX 250 little vibrations but for the most part a great ride

4. KTM SX 250, brand new design should be up and coming, the new susp. is SUPPOSE to be great.

5. Honda's Cr 250, Honda seems to be paying alot of attention to their 4 strokes then their 2 smokers lately. :|

Now remember this isn't me and my own little personal order it the brand new 2007's review from dirt rider.

The mention that in the last few years that Suzuki's 250 has had the market stolen away with their bikes. I believe with the RM's being very easy to ride, great turing, and a motor that very easy to work on, the might be your bike. A 2003-2004 should be in the price range. Now thats my opinion. I'll take the flak now. :laugh:

DAMRacing31

Oct 22, 2006
Hey I personally am a Yamaha guy and would go to the YZ 250 I have one and love it! But i have had RM's and think they are great bikes too. Either one would be a great choice! But as for being Ready size wise, I think you would be fine When i move up to the 250 I was 16 only 5'6" and about 130lbs and never had any problems. Actually had an easier time. You don't have to push as hard with a 250 as you do a 125, it's a lot easier to stay in the powerband and the power is there when you need it. So i say go for it! :joke:

johnsta6262

Mod Ban
Oct 23, 2006
Hooner33 said:
I just read in a dirt rider/dirt something or another mag. that the top 250 2smokers in running order from 1st to last is...
1. YZ 250 for its great low to mid, with all new great susp. :boss:

2. RM 250 great susp. very easy to ride(circles/turing), and the motor has spoken for its self the last few years.

3. KX 250 little vibrations but for the most part a great ride

4. KTM SX 250, brand new design should be up and coming, the new susp. is SUPPOSE to be great.

5. Honda's Cr 250, Honda seems to be paying alot of attention to their 4 strokes then their 2 smokers lately. :|

Now remember this isn't me and my own little personal order it the brand new 2007's review from dirt rider.

The mention that in the last few years that Suzuki's 250 has had the market stolen away with their bikes. I believe with the RM's being very easy to ride, great turing, and a motor that very easy to work on, the might be your bike. A 2003-2004 should be in the price range. Now thats my opinion. I'll take the flak now. :laugh:

yeahh i read that last night too

Rideblue4ever

Aug 28, 2006
indeed

Im about 5'7 and weigh 160lbs and i ride a 2000 Yz250 and i can handle it great i love this bike..you should get one also they climb like anything and haul lots of ass

johnsta6262

Mod Ban
Oct 23, 2006
get a yz 250 they have great suspension this year but no engine changes but the suspension makes it feel a lot faster...also the ktms are great too they are on their way...honda has been ignoring the cr's lately

crazshane

Oct 22, 2006
I completely agree. Don't do the honda. They are going for mass production, not quality. YZ250's are supposed to be great. Personally I love the yamahas. Great, sturdy bikes. KTM's might be out of your price range. RM250 are supposed to be awesome bikes too. They've got a lot of electronics though, and my friends bike seems to have problems a lot. Good luck choosing!!!

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
You should be fine with a 250, just let your brain control your throttle hand.

I like the RM's but in all honesty any of the bikes you mentioned are good. If you can, go to the dealer and sit on the bikes. Choose the one that feels the most comfortable to you.

Good luck, Steve.

Top Bottom