bigbear08

Jul 27, 2009
what one would you say is the best handling? i figure i can save some money by buying a 250 and make it be an all-around better bike than a 500. but what i need to know, is what i can do to them to make them better at cornering. thanks for knocking some sense into me! lol

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
The cornering kings are most likely the Suzuki, then the Honda. Simple suspension tuning can dial in a bike to be at it's best... fork height (in the tripple clamps), fork compression and rebound adjustments, even rear shock dialed in as mentioned above. Find a good clean bike, freshen up the suspension with a rebuild or simple oil change...
the list is long... most manuals give tuning tips.

bigbear08

Jul 27, 2009
when i rode my friends rmx 250, it didnt seen to corner the way i liked. it could probably be setup to corner nice, but it felt kinda tall or top heavy when cornering. could a lowering link for the swingarm help with this if it feels the same on another bike?

Last edited:

upstateny

Mar 16, 2009
I believe pushing the forks up in the trees slightly, and there fore putting more weight on the front tire would make it corner better.

Also the RMX was probably early 90's and compared to what today's (even 2000) forks/suspension is like, the RMX is stone age.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Fresh suspension set up for your weight and riding style will make almost any bike much more capable than the rider. If you have a bike all set up for you and it still doesn't turn it's probly not the bike's fault. ;)

bigbear08

Jul 27, 2009
so pretty much any newer 250 will be better than the rmx? what year and model should i get? 2ST 4 life said that suzuki and honda are the best at corners, but what one should i get? thanks for the info and the help with this. i dont know how the rmx was setup, but it wasnt for me. lol

bigbear08

Jul 27, 2009
i have seen a 2001 rm250 for 1300 around here, but i doubt it will be there when i get the money. i think thats what im gonna look for, cause it looks like it has a nice low seat height for a low cg.

bigbear08

Jul 27, 2009
how does the power of a 450 compare to a 250 2-stroke? would it have the same top end of a 2-stroke? i could probably use having the smoother power of a 4-stroke, but dont want to be constantly working on it. so what should i look out for when buying one, and what one is your favorite one?(older model)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
bigbear08 said:
so pretty much any newer 250 will be better than the rmx? what year and model should i get? 2ST 4 life said that suzuki and honda are the best at corners, but what one should i get?

You think an 84 XT250 handles good, so ANY modern 250 you buy will be a huge improvement.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
bigbear08 said:
how does the power of a 450 compare to a 250 2-stroke? would it have the same top end of a 2-stroke? i could probably use having the smoother power of a 4-stroke, but dont want to be constantly working on it. so what should i look out for when buying one, and what one is your favorite one?(older model)
You will be constantly working on any MX bike. It's the nature of the beast, especially a 1300 dollar bike.

From your recent series of posts I would almost recommend you stick with that XT.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom