250-2stroke allowed to race the 250f?

Kawi4life

Feb 21, 2005
_JOE_ said:
Different strokes for different folks.

Yup... some people I know totally despise financing but I financed my first brand new bike that I paid for myself in 1995 at the age of 17. And every bike since I've financed and never had a problem buying bikes this way.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Back to 250 or 250f.

Can we safely conclude that a 250 2t would be a more effective race tool when the rider/racer is familiar with how to ride one?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
_JOE_ said:
It really depends on the rider.

... and the track conditions.

jaction125

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2003
I rode 250 2t's for several years (I'm not fast,lol).

I was IMMEDIATELY much faster on a 250f. It's just an easier bike to ride. Any condition, woods, mx, sand, ice, etc.... I ride smoother, faster, and with less energy on a 250f.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
It was the exact same scenario for me. I'm way faster on the 250f, when I get to ride. Maybe if I got to ride more I'd adapt to a 250 smoker, I don't know. The one I had was really hard to ride tight woods on and very unforgiving of rookie mistakes on the track. I would rather race a bunch of newbies on 250 2 strokes than 250fs. Chances are good they'd be off the track in less than 5 laps.

allUseeisRoost

Mod Ban
Apr 13, 2009
im pretty sure up here in maine they race 250 two strokes in the same class as 450 four strokes ... i dont think the racing is as serious as it may be in other parts of the country i think the rule is like that to keep race gates full

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
oldguy said:
We had it in our AMA district (16) last season and only a few guys went out and bought 250 2 strokes. The ones that did were not really any more dominant then they were before on the 250F

lol...yep, it's how fast you ride the bike, not how fast the bike is. The average weekend racer is unlikely to make use of the extra power (and they might even be slower on the smoker).

As usual, there are always variables (like rider style, track conditions, etc, etc)

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
A bike that you will have to learn how to ride fast? ORRR, a bike you are easily faster on? That is how I see it, the guy on the thumper is faster, but less skilled than the guy on the smoker, at the same lap times. A perfect marketing tool, its new and easier to ride faster on? This comes when I finally caught wind of an area vet +50 racer Jeff Heaston, near fatally injured at Log Road MX, Michigan. They had a benefit race for him : www.logroadmx.com/frame2.htm . And the list of these types of accidents will keep growing. Get a neck brace and good luck Mr. Heaston!

Deadohiosky39

Jul 12, 2008
I agree the four strokes are easier to ride fast but since i don't race i ride what is most fun to me which happens to be two strokes.

I think i may need more time on a fourstroke to really get comfortable on them. The way it is now, i am constantly stalling it when i'm just putting around or out in the woods and its extremely annoying. I think its just the new race fourstrokes that i have a problem with. The honda 400ex (xr400 engine) that i had a while ago never gave me any issues but these high compression liquid cooled things sure give me fits.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Have you gotten the pilot circuit dialed in? That will make the bike less likely to stall and much easier to start.

Deadohiosky39

Jul 12, 2008
_JOE_ said:
Have you gotten the pilot circuit dialed in? That will make the bike less likely to stall and much easier to start.

It's my buddies, i'm not sure what all he has done to it. He doesn't seem to have a problem with it stalling but maybe hes just gotten used to it since he rides it all the time. I have maybe a total of 15 minutes on it.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Crank the idle up as fast as you can ride it! Get used to it? Do you mean the higher centrifugal motion of the top end? NEVER! A 2 stroke is a lot more fun in the air. Riders do get over it, seemingly?

2strokesrock

Oct 7, 2008
The thing I can't stand on a four stroke the the compressian brakeing... :| it drives me crazy!

Kawi4life

Feb 21, 2005
Weird. I've ridden 2-strokes exclusively (except for a Raptor) since around 1991 and just got my first 4-stroke MX bike and I don't notice the compression braking with the 4-stroke. I think since with my 2-strokes I always had them set for no idle and the 4-stroke is set for idle it's about the same engine braking in the end. I also didn't notice any stalling problem with the 4-stroke so far. And not to mention it's been starting first kick - don't bother even with the hot start (actually seems harder to start when using the hot start, lol). All the horror stories I've read on forums about the 4-stroke just about had me scared to death of them but so far it just seems like another bike to me.

The main thing I noticed so far is that the 2-stroke can cut lines tighter/faster and wear you out less in tight stuff. But now that I'm getting used to it, I'm feeling good again in corners. And another thing, I don't think the 4-stroke is easier to ride on a track over the 2-stoke. I feel like I would be much faster on a 2-stroke because the 4-stroke takes a lot more energy to ride in my opinion (heavier, takes more energy to corner). So at least I'd have more endurance and be able to charge faster/longer on the 2-stroke (that's how it feels to me).

Either way, it doesn't matter. I just play ride anymore so either one would suit my needs.

Dec 31, 2008
i didnt really want this to turn into a debate between a 2 stroke and 4 stroke.

I am really interested to know if/when this rule will apply to the pros. Does anyone know?

thanks

Dec 31, 2008
yeah, but it was proposed that this rule was going to apply to the pros, and they were all worried some guy that rides a ktm will have a unfair advantage or something.

i think it would be cool if all honda, yamaha, etc. still made both 2 and 4 strokes.

ericz103

Aug 18, 2006
yamaha still does. Its been a little since they have had a major update, but they still make them.

kawraper

Mar 4, 2009
Yeah the poor smokers have fallen to the wayside in the last few years as far as technological advances go. I think the big 4 should make both and let the riders decide what they want. Haven ridden both I have much more confidence in my riding on a 4 but growing up on 2 strokes i still have a big spot in my heart for the 2s. Id like to see them allowed, why not? Then maybe a little more r&d will go into the new ones.

Dec 31, 2008
so yeah i remember reading on the web somewhere that there was talk of applying this rule to the pros...but since no one has said anything im guessing its not going to happen anytime soon..if at all.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…