Dec 31, 2008
my buddy is 5'6" 250 lbs, with little dirtbike experience, he has ridden a bike here and there, knows how to shift etc. but other than that has no dirtbike experience. do you think he would be better off on a 250 2 stroke or 250 four stroke? plans to ride desert, and track once his skill is up.

Dec 31, 2008
i was thinking the 250 4 stroke would be better for him because of all the torque? I originally was thinking 2 stroke but than i thought about the torque. so im guessing 2 stroke than?

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
At 5'6 he is kinda short. At 250 lbs and 5'6 he would be rather heavy. I know a few guys that are that size/shape and are excellent riders but they became excellent riders before they got into that shape.

Is your friend generally athletic, or is he more of a couch potato?

Like Chili said, a beginner with essentially no experience on a 250 2 stroke will struggle. Add on top of that the fact that his feet won't touch the ground and he could really struggle.

I would recommend something like the Yamaha TTR-230, based on his height and lack of experience.

Dec 31, 2008
well his goal is to ride track, and i know it sounds like hes huge, but hes really not that big it just matches him. and hes fast also, not like a big fat slow guy. hes athletic. he wants to buy a used bike, and just dont think a 125 would be enough for him because of his size.

Dec 31, 2008
well i dont know i guess its really up to him, he wants one and was asking me what size he should get. Ktm 150 2 stroke might not be a bad idea, but i guess since the 250 2 stroke you guys say would be too much bike, maybe a 250f would be the way to go than?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Here's an idea, get a learner bike and then once he figures out what's up sell it and move to something else. That being the case something like the mentioned TTR250 or XR250 (my choice) or even a KDX would be a good place to start.

tyler_43

Jun 22, 2007
I'd vote 250 four stroke personally
At 250lbs the ttr230 and crf230's suspension will be really straining - not to mention the power (or lack there of). Xr250 has a little more grunt - they make good low end with the RFVC motor... but overall any 250 fourstroke motocrosser would be good if he can find one within his price range.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
he's a noob, steer him toward an XR250 or 400

He can upgrade later and probably come out even on the XR

Feb 3, 2009
I am just getting back into bikes since my kids are old enough now and I like to ride trails and some tracks. I am 44yrs old, 6'3 and weigh 260- imho he needs to get a 250 2 stroke. I am somewhat athletic, but I ride to have fun and like to go fast. I am by no-means a racer and I don't get close to the limits of my bikes, but I know I can crank it up if I want to. I have a 95 cr500 and a 98 cr250 that are violent and a blast to ride. My oldest son has a fresh 04 cr125 and my bikes are way easier to ride than his. Don't get me wrong, the 125 is lighter, will scream when you stay on it and a way better jumper, but the lack of torque makes it tougher to ride. You can find a pair of awesome 2-strokes for what you would pay for a 4stroke 250. Not to bag on 4strokes, but there is nothing on wheels that will give you that "I might **** my pants" feeling, than a big 2-stroke. You can also adjust the height on any bike, the cr125 is taller than my 500, so don't let that hinder the decision.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom