bkmaster02

Aug 17, 2000
i'm considering buying a 2000 250 mxc or exc, and i was wondering what are the differences (while riding) between the wide ratio and close ratio transmissions? which trasmission is better suited to motocross? how does each bike behave on a motocross track? how does each bike behave on the trail? also, i was considering a 300, but then wouldn't i be forced to race in the open class for motocross? and what class would the 300 race in in a harescramble? just for your info, i'm 15, live in indiana (district 15), i'm about 5"9', 140 lbs, i ride mostly woods and a little motocross, and i currently ride a 97 CR250, and i consider myself an intermediate rider. which bike would you recommend for me? i know this is alot of questions, and i appreciate any answers you could give me. thanks.

BigStoppy

Mar 6, 2000
You have asked a very good question which deserves a good, solid answer.

1) 250MXC (close ratio trans) for motocross. If you like to moto more than harescramble, pick this one. 2) Both bikes share the same frame, so with proper setup, would be equal on a motocross track (aside from the taller gearing on the EXC) 3) Same for trail riding; both bikes are excellent. 4) With your size and weight, a 250 is a nice choice and you are not forced to race in open class in motos or harescrambles.

I would recommend the 250MXC. Great in the woods and good on the mx track.

And to answer your question on the differences of the transmissions while riding, my 99 250EXC has a slightly higher top speed than my bud's MXC. His bike tops out sooner and I can ease past him at WFO.

Hope this helps.

bkmaster02

Aug 17, 2000
thanks for the info BigStoppy, i appreciate it. you talked about top speeds on your 250 EXC and your buddy's MXC, but what are the approx. top speeds for each bike? top speed is a factor in some of the places i ride, and i was wondering just how much of a difference in top speed the EXC transmission makes. another thing you said was-

Both bikes share the same frame, so with proper setup, would be equal on a motocross track (aside from the taller gearing on the EXC)

-but how does the taller gearing make the bike behave on a motocross track? is the acceleration slower? does the power come on more smoothly? thanks again for the reply, and again i appreciate any answer you could give me with these new questions.

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
Actually the 250 SX is the motocross bike with the stiffer suspension set up, lighter fly wheel and close ratio trans. The MXC has the heavier flywheel but still has the close ration trans, and the EXC has the flywheel and wide ration trans with lights. (MXC has the lighting coil but no lights)
I always look at it as the SX is for Supercross and American style motocross, the MXC is for hare scrambles, hare and hound, and Euro style motocross, and the EXC is for Enduro, woods and trail. If I was to buy a new KTM I think I would go with the MXC as I ride woods trails and on motocross tracks. Even though the MXC is not best for either, it would be better on the MX track than the EXC and better in the woods than the SX.

Top Bottom