250MXC to 200MXC??

mkuriawa

Feb 28, 2002
I was thinking about selling my 99 250MXC and moving down to a 200MXC, I ride mostly mild MX tracks and tight sand pits. I was recently riding a friends 125 and the weight difference and handling are noticable, I really liked being able to throw the bike around. I figured the 200 would be a good compromise for me, keeping some of the HP and getting a lighter better handling machine. Is the 200 MXC sprung too light for mild MX stock? I weight about 190 with full gear.

Comments/opinions/suggestions?

B

biglou

I think it can handle light MX just fine. I finally rode a 200 for the first time this past Saturday and I was fairly impressed. It is noticably lighter than my 250 (Both bikes are 2001 models). I race mine in MX and I'm definitely not "Light"! Of course, I don't do giant triples, or even doubles for that matter, but I do leave the ground by about 3-5 feet on occasion.
I think the 200 would make an excellent all-around playbike. One of my co-workers has a 2000 MXC 200 and he races beginner 250 MX with me on his with no problems.

thermal

Sep 25, 2001
Are you riding only mx? Why not select the 125 sx? I think it's faster than the 200. And are they going to have a 200 sx in 03?

mkuriawa

Feb 28, 2002
200 MXC

I like the idea of the 200 because of what it is, not a 125. I mess around on mild MX tracks and riding in sand pits where we make our own little tracks, throw in some woods riding once in a while and I figured it would be a perfect mount. I also figured the 200 would be a little better maintenance wise than a 125SX (Less top end rebuilds, Etc) and have more bottom end power (more CC's).

Problem is I do not know anyone in my area of NJ that owns one, I would sure love to ride one before making a purchase.

If they make a 200 SX I would go that direction but I highly doubt they will make one, they have so many models compared to japanese manufacturers already.

BIGLOU: How was the 200 in the power department? My 99 250 is not exactly a rocket but it has great grunt off the bottom which makes it easy to ride, on top it signs off kind of early.

Mike.

Last edited:

thermal

Sep 25, 2001
Don't quote me on this but I believe Greg Langstrom? rode a 200sx in some open sx last year. I have n a clue.

IBWFO

Aug 5, 2001
Brock Sellards rode a 200 SX in the 250 class at the US Open.
You could easily make a 125 SX into a 200 SX.
Now there's a screamer!!!

D

thermal

Sep 25, 2001
I think you are on to something D.
Is the supension and gearing on the mxc setup for woods?
Will this be OK for mx?

Last edited:

IBWFO

Aug 5, 2001
I have never owned an EXC, only MXC's.
I think if you just did an occasional MX you might be OK but the suspension might be a little soft too.
I will be watching to see what you do.

D

socal scott

Nov 2, 2001
I go 190lbs as well and run 42's up front and PDS7(stock 250SX) rear.
You can't rely on torque, you'll have to have more of a 125 approach. We may be at the limits of this motors weight capacity. I have it very close, just not happy with roll-on power under a load(trails). It's been tough though.
It is awsume for track riding though. The bike can loop out going into 5th gear on hard pack.
Here's what I've done. 42p,180m,DDKndl#3 @ sea level/FMF AOF ignition/-4oz. flywhl/FMF carb. wing(fabricated)/Moose Torque Ring. The thinnest base gasket is next and possibly a RAD valve. Eventually a 212 bore kit w/porting.
You must do the DDK and FMF ignition($100) first. Huge improvement, pulls longer and harder, I mean sick. The wing is pretty huge to, but requires machining as does the flywhl. Not sure about the Torque Ring.

yota

Oct 9, 2001
I have a 200 mxc motor, pipe, ignition and carb in my 02 125 sx chassis plus a buttload of mods and its a blast.

socal scott

Nov 2, 2001
Hey Yota, no waiting for an unlikely '03 200SX for you...right-on!
Is there a noticable weight difference with the 125 chassis?

I heard some people are using the 125 ignitions on the 200 for improved top-end power.
Actually I'm wondering if you've found anything that improves the torque way down low?

I ride mostly trail and enjoy having SuperX style power. It works for me here in socal anyway.

What does your recomended mod list look like?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…