2nd Ride Report - 2002 KTM 200 EXC

stormi

Mar 3, 2004
Hi All,

Well, since the last ride, we set the sag on the bike, it's a little more than 4" but the bars were dropped to correspond, we shaved the seat down a bunch, and put on a gripper seat cover ( boy that's going to take some getting used to! It's not just stand up and go anymore, it's part knees a little further, stand, sit, put knees back against bike. Between the texture of my pants, and the seat, I tried to stand up at one point and didn't go anywhere! :eek: )

The good news is I can now touch the ground with the balls of my feet. This brings my confidence way up. I still find starting it to be terribly difficult, since my leg is practically up to my chin when I first get on the kickstarter. Not a lot of power up there. How do you ladies and slightly more "height challenged" males do this? I've taken to putting the kickstand down, then standing on the left peg and kicking from that height. That is, in the absence of a picnic table or nicely placed rut or other natural formation. (We're going to make a habit of checking for bends and sheering bolts on the kickstand mount part of the regular maintenance.)

We talked to some people while we were there, cos one of them had this nifty shock loaded gizmo on the back of his truck that allowed him to load on the ground, then crank it up so it sat not unlike a mountain bike on the back of a truck hitch. Since I'm fairly sure that at my height I'll never be able to load my own bike, I wanted to know more. We chatted with them for a while and learned about a nice flat part of the park ( Back at Blackfoot again) where I could practice my turns and not have to worry about the cars in the parking lot.

So I played at practicing my starting in 2nd, not too bad at that, unless I let it idle a bit, then I stall it almost every time out. Starting it in soft sand is not a lot of fun, for lack of "suitable terrain" but otherwise I'm getting better. My cornering is getting pretty good, in fact, the BF said that it was pretty impressive for the length of time I've been on the bike.

Then I decided to tackle the track that I'd had so much trouble on last time around. Following about 1/4 of a lap behind the BF, I got on and started riding, as I came up the first hill I had my well programmed ( from the TTR) reaction, "Ahhh Crap", then remembered I was on a different bike, and just twisted the throttle a little more. Up I went. No paddling required. :)

Then I noticed as I came up the first corner, that he was at the third, off his bike. Hmmm... So as I came up to him, he gestured at me, not sure what it was, I stopped, and crashed. ( I think we need to work on our communication. :clue: He'd meant for me to keep going.) So now there are 2 bikes down on the track. This is where I learned how nasty it is to start on soft sand. Eventually I got it started, and got going, only to stall it around a particularly scary turn ( for me anyway ) so I bump started it and kept going. Then on the last downhill, I stalled it again.

Determined not to have that track beat me again, I went for another couple of laps, and did fine. Then we played in other parts of the park on a few of the trails and stuff, and I wound it up a bit more ( tried out 3rd gear. LOL )

Eventually we made it back to the track again and I went booting around it. I came into one corner too fast and the front tire swapped out, then the bike crushed me into the ground. My boot actually dug toe first more than 2 inches into the sand. I squirmed out and stood up, surveying the situation. Tires above the bars on the slope, and me absolutely beat from riding. Luckily my BF came along at that point and helped me out. Again, determined for that not to be the last ride, I did a few more laps with my cornering getting faster and better then we called it a day.

The next day, my rear didn't hurt nearly as much, so I'd say the seat modifications were a success! I was stiff and a little bruised but felt a lot better than the previous ride. I think I have to learn to not hold on as tight though, because I find my shoulders hurt a fair bit and I have to rest often. Of course in the 'break in" phase with the bike, I guess this isn't a bad thing. In the book it says to be gentle with the bike for the first 500K or 5 hrs.... I have 14.6K on it so far... I think I'm always going to be in a break in phase! By the time 500K is up, I'll have to do the piston again! :laugh:

Anyways, I've decided I might be jinxed. Some might remember that I mentioned that when we got back from the track the first time, that it started snowing again? Guess what? We came home sunday, and it started snowing on tuesday. We're at about 4 -6 inches right now. So I'm averaging a ride a month.... I wonder, what are the odds I'll be ready for the Canada Ride?

On another note, I had my last ride on the TTR, we sold it on tues. It felt a little like a volkswagon bus, hardy, but not a lot of power. :) Really slow compared to the ride on the weekend. A little weird too with snow falling around me and really wet slippery (dirt) road under me.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Sounds like it's going well! I'm jealous, I can't go riding until I can afford to fix my bike.

One thing--that's a BAD idea to stand the bike on it's kickstand and start it. KTMs have notoriously wimpy kickstands. I broke mine off in a crash the 3rd time I rode it, and everybody in the world told me not to ever put weight on the kickstand beyond just that of the bike itself. There are some aftermarket bolt and bracket kits available I think, but I don't know if they would allow you to actually stand on the bike while it's on its kickstand.

As for starting, I guess it's just something you learn. Looking for even the slightest rise in the ground to put your left foot on is a good habit to learn. Sometimes, after a crash, if I am on the right side of the bike, I'll just stand on the ground and start it with my left foot. Kind of awkward but sometimes it's the only way. Also, some pro and expert friends of mine tried to teach me to stand on the PEGS while kicking. I don't have quite the balance to trust it . . . but it did work once or twice. Handy skill to have if you've crashed in an uphill or nasty section of trail. I've seen some shorter gals do a kind of thing where they kicked as they swung their leg over the bike and then just hopped on (that's a 5' tall 16-year-old local girl who whoops ass) but I've never done it. You'd have to know that your bike would start up right away.

Anyway, have fun! Keep us posted!

srellis

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 25, 2002
That's why my hubby wanted me to wait for the CRF250X...Electric start!! But it is now lowered enough I can start it with the kickstarter. I've done it a few times when it was cold and I was too impatient for the e-start.

Sounds like you are doing great! Sorry about the snow. We had 3 inches of snow here on Monday and today the forecasted high is 93!! Go figure...
SusanE

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Keep riding stormi. :thumb: You'll figure out a technique that works for you. Thanks for the reports. The weather out here is improving and my bike is running again... I can hear the dirt calling my name. :yeehaw:

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
I really do feel sorry for you height-challenged gals - seriously. All this lowering and seat shaving must be a pain in the ass! Great report stormi! I'm glad to hear the bike is working out for you!

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Congratulation Stormi! I was checking out a new 04 200exc for my son @ Lansing cycle / Enduro Engineering. I felt it was too tall for my son? The sales person told they could lower the bike good 1" 1/2" more. I asked how? He said they did it with suspension mods. He really didn’t go into details, but you might want to give them a call. 517-393-2421 EST www.enduroeng.com with this mod on top of your present mods your bike should fit you better?

stormi

Mar 3, 2004
firecracker22 said:
One thing--that's a BAD idea to stand the bike on it's kickstand and start it. KTMs have notoriously wimpy kickstands. I broke mine off in a crash the 3rd time I rode it, and everybody in the world told me not to ever put weight on the kickstand beyond just that of the bike itself. There are some aftermarket bolt and bracket kits available I think, but I don't know if they would allow you to actually stand on the bike while it's on its kickstand.
[snip]

Also, some pro and expert friends of mine tried to teach me to stand on the PEGS while kicking.

Ahhh crap! Even if I budget for a new kickstand periodically? I mean what's the worst that will happen? It breaks, and I have another "no speed" crash under my belt, NO? Perhaps we will look into a stronger kickstand. While I do look for every opportunity to start it other ways, sometimes it feels like the only option. I find that with my knee as high up as it is when I stand on the ground, I don't have any strength in my leg to kick. In some situations, the BF can steady the bike while I start it, but you must have way better balance than I do, because I crash starting it from the ground sometimes, never mind from the pegs! :)

In fact, I was thinking about it, I have very few crashes while moving, it's when I'm not moving that I'm in trouble. Come to think of it, I ski the same way too.

stormi

Mar 3, 2004
srellis said:
That's why my hubby wanted me to wait for the CRF250X...Electric start!! But it is now lowered enough I can start it with the kickstarter. I've done it a few times when it was cold and I was too impatient for the e-start.

Sounds like you are doing great! Sorry about the snow. We had 3 inches of snow here on Monday and today the forecasted high is 93!! Go figure...
SusanE

I hear ya! If only there was a way to "retro fit" a bike with E-Start. Otherwise, this bike is pretty much perfect for my needs. I'm trying to figure out how to develop the muscles in my legs so that I can have strength that high up in the throw, or failing that, I'm going to need to find somewhere on the bike to mount a 2x4 for starting purposes. :eek:

I am enjoying it, with one exception, I notice the more I'm riding, the harder I'm crashing. Not as much of it, but harder to walk away from as quickly. Have to wait longer for my body to take inventory before getting back on. Or maybe that's a symptom of my age more than the bike.

We've been having a ton of weird weather like that too. It's been snowy, then hot, then cool, then rainy, it's really strange.

stormi

Mar 3, 2004
dirty~d~ said:
Keep riding stormi. :thumb: You'll figure out a technique that works for you. Thanks for the reports. The weather out here is improving and my bike is running again... I can hear the dirt calling my name. :yeehaw:

One thing that I find really strange is the need to give it a little gas when I'm kicking to get it started, That can be awkward when you're off balance already and trying to start! The TTR didn't need that, so I find myself forgetting periodically, and kicking like crazy.

Did you get out this weekend to ride?

stormi

Mar 3, 2004
GETMETOCA said:
I really do feel sorry for you height-challenged gals - seriously. All this lowering and seat shaving must be a pain in the ass! Great report stormi! I'm glad to hear the bike is working out for you!

The nice part is, when you finally do get it setup, you're done, ( or at least for those of us that are done growing anyways. ) The biggest part now seems to be the kickstarting. If I lean the bike to start it, I tip over, so it's mostly a matter of overcoming my height there,... perhaps a pair of platform riding boots? Or maybe only platforms on one side? :clue:

Oh! and as an aside,.. the seat shaving actually relieved a lot of the pain in my ass! :) Removing the hard vinyl cover and shaving the top a little softened things way up!!

stormi

Mar 3, 2004
70 marlin said:
Congratulation Stormi! I was checking out a new 04 200exc for my son @ Lansing cycle / Enduro Engineering. I felt it was too tall for my son? The sales person told they could lower the bike good 1" 1/2" more. I asked how? He said they did it with suspension mods. He really didn’t go into details, but you might want to give them a call. 517-393-2421 EST www.enduroeng.com with this mod on top of your present mods your bike should fit you better?

I think height wise, I'm good,... the hardest part is the kicking, and I suspect I'll eventually be able to suck it up enough as to not have too much trouble with that too. :) Once I'm on it, I can touch with the balls of my feet, and I'm comfortable. Of course, the suspension isn't even broken in yet either, so I might even find that eventually, the bike comes down to my level all by itself. :)

How tall is your son? I'm just shy of 5'5", with a 30" inseam,.. which I think is my problem. (Faulty design from the baby factory. :) ) If he's used to starting bikes and is about the same height, he's probably fine. I started out with a TTR-125L last year, so I'm not exceptionally accustomed to kicking a full-sized bike, esp. one that's as tall as this.

The suspension mods were explained to me as: revalving (?) the front shocks, putting in a different rear shock, and then there's the "cutting the subframe" option. All of which seemed fairly major (i.e. we can't do them ourselves) and so we figured we'd see what we could get away with with external mods first. Plus I want the suspension to break in a bit first, so that we can see if there really is a need to go any further. The bike only has 14.6Kms total on it so far!

srellis

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 25, 2002
stormi said:
I notice the more I'm riding, the harder I'm crashing. Not as much of it, but harder to walk away from as quickly. Have to wait longer for my body to take inventory before getting back on. Or maybe that's a symptom of my age more than the bike.
That's what I'm afraid of also. We rode in OK a few weeks ago and there were a few times I felt like I was going faster than I really felt comfortable with. I can tell I am so much faster on the CRF than on the TTR. It used to be that most of the 60 class would lap me and this weekend only one managed to catch me and it was right at the end of my fourth lap, his fifth, a turn before the finish. It's both exhilarating and terrifying at the same time. I've been riding a little over two years and have yet to have a crash that invovled more than just a superficial bruise. I'm scared that the "Big One" :eek: is coming any day now.....

stormi

Mar 3, 2004
srellis said:
That's what I'm afraid of also. We rode in OK a few weeks ago and there were a few times I felt like I was going faster than I really felt comfortable with. I can tell I am so much faster on the CRF than on the TTR. It used to be that most of the 60 class would lap me and this weekend only one managed to catch me and it was right at the end of my fourth lap, his fifth, a turn before the finish. It's both exhilarating and terrifying at the same time. I've been riding a little over two years and have yet to have a crash that invovled more than just a superficial bruise. I'm scared that the "Big One" :eek: is coming any day now.....

You know,.. I'm sure that both of us are going to be just fine. The fact that we even consider the possibility of crashing, puts us in a good head space. A little caution, especially on a much faster bike that we're getting used to, isn't a bad thing. There's nothing that says we have to use all the power, just because it's there. And then there's that lack of testosterone,.... that should help. I ride with 2 guys, and MAN! Do I see them get into some goofy things! I find myself going: "Is that wise?" Then shortly after the crash, I usually find myself muttering, "I thought not." :laugh:

srellis

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 25, 2002
At first my husband was against me getting a new bike. He told me I wasn't even riding the TTR to it's potential. (TTR with potential???)
I told him I didn't feel safe on it at high speeds and my body would be sore for several days after riding due to lack of suspension. He said I wasn't riding it hard enough. I told him that if I was riding the TTR at maybe 3/4 capacity that if I ride a bigger bike at 1/2 capacity I would still be so much faster. Well I am almost twice as fast on a bike I've had two months compared to a bike I had for 18 months....

I sure hope you are enjoying your new bike as much as I am mine. Testosterone has proven itself at making poor judgements on many occasions!!!

Have fun and ride safe!
susanE

r_outsider

Mar 2, 2004
stormi said:
And then there's that lack of testosterone,.... that should help. I ride with 2 guys, and MAN! Do I see them get into some goofy things! I find myself going: "Is that wise?" Then shortly after the crash, I usually find myself muttering, "I thought not." :laugh:

Thanks. Thanks a lot.

The problem with bikes such as the TTR is that by the time you reach the potential of the engine(or at least what potential there is with seven horsepower :joke: ), you've FAR exceeded the potential of the frame and suspension. A more experienced rider can deal with the problems that occur, such as headshake and swapping. Less skilled riders get frustrated and crash a lot. Little bikes are great for learning very basic skills and mild play riding, but they are what they are. Play bikes. You guys are better off riding what you have now. The bigger bike is already proving MUCH easier and less frustrating to ride for Stormi(except for the starting thing). Just having the extra power so you don't have to plan every move and always have some in reserve helps.

As for the starting thing, I think it's just one of those things that you can't do, and then one day it just hits you how to do it. Then you're fine. Getting better at finding "Landscape Advantages" helps!
I know the kickstand isn't a good idea, but right now, whatever works. And if I have to buy a new kickstand, so be it. And the KTM stand really isn't that bad. I grew up riding '70s and '80s bikes. Now THOSE side-mounted skewers were bad kickstands!

stormi

Mar 3, 2004
srellis said:
At first my husband was against me getting a new bike. He told me I wasn't even riding the TTR to it's potential. (TTR with potential???)
I told him I didn't feel safe on it at high speeds and my body would be sore for several days after riding due to lack of suspension. He said I wasn't riding it hard enough. I told him that if I was riding the TTR at maybe 3/4 capacity that if I ride a bigger bike at 1/2 capacity I would still be so much faster. Well I am almost twice as fast on a bike I've had two months compared to a bike I had for 18 months....

I sure hope you are enjoying your new bike as much as I am mine. Testosterone has proven itself at making poor judgements on many occasions!!!

Have fun and ride safe!
susanE

I hear ya!! This is where I lucked out. I got better and better then just started falling a bunch more, and working harder to make the bike keep it's rubber side down. Then my BF noticed what I was doing and he's the one that said I was overriding the bike. He didn't expect it as soon as it happened, but was prepared to trade up without question.

On a side note, we rode yesterday and I was still having my grievances about starting, and found myself missing the nice gentle TTR. Til I picked a really bad line that had a nasty little dip then abrupt uphill that I needed to clear, or wear the bike, with a really sore foot (from slipping off the kickstarter - still nursing that goose egg.), and managed to ride it out. All three of us were sure I was going to crash, but I made it, by getting on the gas and holding on for dear life.

stormi

Mar 3, 2004
r_outsider said:
Thanks. Thanks a lot.

[snip]

The bigger bike is already proving MUCH easier and less frustrating to ride for Stormi(except for the starting thing). Just having the extra power so you don't have to plan every move and always have some in reserve helps.

As for the starting thing, I think it's just one of those things that you can't do, and then one day it just hits you how to do it. Then you're fine. Getting better at finding "Landscape Advantages" helps!
I know the kickstand isn't a good idea, but right now, whatever works. And if I have to buy a new kickstand, so be it. And the KTM stand really isn't that bad. I grew up riding '70s and '80s bikes. Now THOSE side-mounted skewers were bad kickstands!

Ahh, Ladies and gentlemen,... My other half. :)

I used the kickstand very little this weekend, but did have to use it. I found this funny little way of starting the bike that seems to work at least some of the time. I would scoot forward as far as I can, almost onto the gastank, put my foot onto the kickstarter, then shove down and backward as hard as I could (think of how a horse kicks), letting my left foot come up off the ground as I threw as much of my weight onto the kickstarter as possible. Apparently it looks pretty funny, but it seems to work reasonably often for me. I also managed to balance the bike, again by being far forward, and stand on the left peg and kick with the right. Sometimes I'd even get in 3 kicks before I started to tip over.
:eek:

C

CaNaDiAn,Eh?

Glad to hear your starting to get more used to the bike. Starting is just one of those things you have to get used to, but eventually you'll have no problem with it. And I hear ya on the "only getting to ride about once a month because of weather' thing. That is so annoying..lol

stormi

Mar 3, 2004
Yeah, It handles like a dream,... as long as I can get it started! LOL! A little frustrating, but I intend to overcome it. Once the latest bruises from slipping off the kickstarter and smashing my foot on the peg heal that is. On Monday the lump was biggger than my ankle bone!

C

CaNaDiAn,Eh?

Once I was trying to start my bike ( I once had an old pig of a bike that if cold refused to start), the kickstarter for some reason had a sharp edge and I had been kicking for a long time and was nearing exhaustion.. Well anyway my foot slipped off the kickstarter and the edge ripped a large hole right through my jeans and I ended up with a fairly deep gash on my lower leg. I still have that scar....lol.

Top Bottom