3 day riding vacation in Michigan

travisg

Aug 18, 2003
I am bringing 4 buddies up to ride in Michigan for the first time. I've been up there 2 previous years. We will be staying at Beaver lodge in Big Rapids.

Are the Holton and Horshoe Lake riding areas open to riding? Also, If you have any suggestions of some good rides in that area.

Thanks, Travis.

Trailridin

Mar 22, 2002
I was just at Horseshoe Lake last Sunday. The Horseshoe Lake loop is completely open, but only half the Holton Loop is open. Some better places to ride closer to Big Rapids would be the Evart loop (if you like really tight trail) or the Little Manistee or Tin Cup loops near Baldwin. Here is a link to the trail maps.
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10365_15070-38330--,00.html

coolktm

May 29, 2002
Anyone know what the campground is like near Evart? Can you ride to the trails? Also, can you pull in late at night (1:00am)? Thanks

Trailridin

Mar 22, 2002
The State Forest Campground on the North side of the loop is a public campground you can pull in at any time. To ride to the trails from the campground I believe requires a license plate. However, the trailhead parking area is only about a mile from the campground.

Trailridin

Mar 22, 2002
I rode it about 3 weeks ago. The trail is pretty tight (motorcycles only - no ATVs). It is rocky in parts, but does not many whoops. My brother and I rode the 23 mile loop in about 3.5 hours with breaks. We both felt pretty beat up by then end of the day. It is challenging trail.

PDBRacer

Sep 8, 2003
Lol you sure it wasnt a mountain bike trail. That be a very tough ride. You discribed it like one and i live in michigan there are a lot of mountain bike trails.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…