endurotuff

Nov 8, 2004
Guys I'm awed by the CR500AFX. I'm new to enduro (2 years) started on a GAS GAS 300 but just could not ride it and it just stressed me out when it stalled. I'm very short (5'6") and sometimes flameouts happened on the worst places where I just couldn't fire it back up. So I decided to sell it and bought a CRF250X great bike and have learned to ride it "well", the E button is great! We race in tight single track, rooted, snotty, tight trails (read observed trials stuff) definitely not open bike terrain. But we do have some guys racing in 450f's and some on KTM's 300s E's. I might start by racing against this crowd and need to get some kind of advantage if possible. I wonder if the CR500AFX would be just too much for this type of terrain. I've also "discovered" through this forum the great qualities the Rekluse has. I'm quite certain this would help not only in riding better but with flameouts as well. To all of you who have or have ridden CR500AFXs please post your opinions.

2strokesrock

Oct 7, 2008
Well.... i'm not sure more power is always an advantage, some of the best woods racers use small light bikes like 200s and 250s.
I think a CR 250 would be the best choice.

Tom68

Oct 1, 2007
KTM's taller than GAS GAS, ignore their claimed seat height and sit on one. Sounds like you've got to pick from E starts or small bore easy starts.

AJ Waggoner

Crash Test Dummy
Nov 5, 1999
a few guys ride the AF's and AFX's in HS and enduro..
itas a lot better woods bike than the public realizes as it has a lot of low end torque..
a rekluse Pro makes them a very effective trails woods bike for sure..

member wardy here , races his in HS , maybe he will chime in..

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
I rode gas gas for a couple years and always had trouble falling and such. Since i rode and AF 500 in mX the gas gas didn't turn anywhere near as good. This year my first full year in HS races and I have an 2008 A/F 500 with rekluse pro, big 3+gal tank and it rocks. ONLY one thing you have to pay attention to.......throttle control. the rest is simple, no hill is to tall, no mud is to sticky, and no 300 in an open field will touch it.

I get 2.5 hours on a tank of fuel. It turns like a crf250R since that is what frame it is. and it' light wieght so easy pick up. I am 50 years old and don't have the knees or the back to kick it or pick it up, so it works very well for me.

It will last 2 seasons with out a hiccup. and well it will hold resale better then any other machine.

kinda tell i like my bike huh?

:)

endurotuff

Nov 8, 2004
I honestly wouldn´t want to get one just to find out it´s way too much for the terrain I ride my buddies keep telling me it's crazy that 500's are for open terrain and deserts. AJ if I can direct this question to you and please forgive me if it is a really "stoopid" question. I know I can't get an CR250R engine to be a 300 but could I get Service Honda to make a 500 inta a 300?

AJ Waggoner

Crash Test Dummy
Nov 5, 1999
enduro-
no worries, it isnt a silly question.
many have thought about it..

but honestly,,
just like you wouldnt want to buy a 500 and find it was too much,.

it would be the same as me making a 300 for you,
and you finding out a 500 was just right,
and not too much at all for the woods ands triails?

far better to try one out, (a 500)
than to build up something one off and "unknown"
(likekly quite expensive) and find out it isnt as good as the original perhaps?

the key on a 500 is the low end, its what makes it a good woods bike

if i made a 300 out of it,,
( its possibility ,but would take some majotr rework and i;m not sure irts evben viable)

it would most likely loose the great low end the 500cc 2 stroke bikes are known for
(more low end that a modern 450 thumper)

they key on them is to shift up , ride a gear high, and use the tractor bottom end.

The 2008 AMA National Hare and Hound champion in one of the vet classes,
is 2008 CR500AF mounted , and loves the low end. and the abilty to open it up when the situation arises.

while its hard to base a decision without riding the bike..
thats unforunantly common place when buying any dirt bike.
regardles of brand or displacement?
. unless your buddy has the exact bike you are planning to buy..:)

you are welcome to test one of mine if you are ever in the area..!!!

endurotuff

Nov 8, 2004
AJ I appreciate the offer and info. As they say "decisions,decisions" I'm quite far from your whereabouts but I'll certainly jot it down on the bucketlist. If by any chance you come down here please let me know and I'll prepare a ride for you.

endurotuff

Nov 8, 2004
Found this on another Forum. The guy did say copy and paste so....

"Question: Should I get a smaller bike?

This is an attempt to answer the above question. A question that most big bore riders ask themselves at one time or another.

The following is my opinion. One that has derived from many years of riding big bores, in all different types of terrain.

The message may help any large bore rider who is thinking of trading his 500cc bike for a smaller, more nimble one.

There are many reasons that a rider might find himself in a predicament such as this; Outside influence from small bike riding peers, running out of fuel, arm pump, exhaustion, broken kickstart lever, a hole in the bottom of one’s boot, and not all-inclusive, brainwashing.

The explanation is gonna’ be a long one because, I do thoroughly understand this dilemma and understand the grave situation that a 500cc rider may find himself in as a result of the thoughts evoked by that question. Evil thoughts that deprive the victim of sleep, inhibit ones ability to work and function as a normal human being, and are detrimental to ones daily attitude and well-being in general. The intermediate result of this situation, prior to a rider trading in his 500, is manic confusion.
Most (if not all) riders can be helped at this point. I have found myself in this situation in the past and have asked myself this question many times.

The following segment is part of a post that I took from the ATK site. At the time, they were talking about the possibility of a 500 - 685cc, Maico engined bike, for future production. I don't know the writer, but he did make a few good points:

"Few people buy big bore two strokes to be practical - it's about power. Sure, you could ride that trail easier on a wimpy bike - but riding motorcycles is not about easy - it's about fun. Some people may choose to ride small bikes - just remember the world is saturated everything from XR 250's to KTM 520's - But who has a 600cc two stroke."

The writer has definitely made some good points and I wholeheartedly agree!

99.9 % of the riders/peers that one talks to, will say the same thing, "Get a 250."
And, if you think about the reasons behind this statement, mostly they're right.

250's/300's are easier to ride, most weigh slightly less, require less effort/strength to go fast, are faster in most situations, are easier to start, and usually get better fuel mileage. And rightly so, they are good bikes. Without a doubt.

Attempting to rationalize with the persons who are preaching the smaller bike idea, and concentrating on the good qualities of such bikes, will make you feel that uncomfortable pressure and feeling weaker, thus eventually coming to the realization that you are totally confused!

If one has reached this confused state, all is not lost, and the point-of-no-return has not been reached yet.

It is when a 500cc rider does not seek help, at the confusion state, that the pressure can become too great, the mind takes over, the rationalization becomes complete, the 500 is traded in for a mini, and life returns back to normal for the victim. This is called the point-of-no-return. - Face to face counseling is needed at this point.

Surely we could find many reasons to ride a smaller bike, but for the benefit of anyone who has reached the confusion stage, lets concentrate on the reasons we are riding and love the 500's…And will continue to do so.

Here are my thoughts, and reasoning behind my support of the mighty 500's. I have many valid reasons for their continued existence:

It started when I was about 16. I worked my butt off and saved enough money to get a brand new `82 CR 480. It was my first new bike and first big bore. I wanted a Maico but it was too expensive.

I lived in South Jersey. We rode in Chattsworth, Wharton State Forrest, and the Pine Barons. The trees there are 29 inches apart.

EVERYONE said that my CR was no good and unridable in the tight...But I didn't care what they said. I rode, and rode lots. I never had any serious problems, but I did work my butt off riding the bike in that area (it was a four speed with a light (stock) flywheel...But I didn't care. It was fun! And I learned all about throttle control.

My love for big bores was cemented, from that period - up to this day, because of one minor incident.

I was riding with a friend, who was riding an RM 250. He wanted to switch bikes so we did. We were on our normal trails, when we came upon a large hill that we rode up daily.
But this time, I was on the 250.
I started up the hill, riding like I normally did, and halfway up, the 250 fell off the pipe and I had to struggle to stay on two wheels and make the hill.
I had "forgotten" that I wasn't on my bike and did not change my riding style for the 250.
I was used to riding at 1/8 - 1/4 throttle up the hill, in comfort, torqueing my way up at just above idle.
Obviously, the 250 required lots more throttle to get around (and up.)
It was then, that very moment, that I realized that 500's were really for me and that I hadn't made a mistake spending my life’s savings on a 500.

At some point during the confusion stage, most riders say:
"I like my 500 because the grin factor can't be beat."

This statement is true and is a very valid point.

But as the sleepless nights wear on, fatigue sets in and a rider might contemplate:
“But now I'm starting to think that a smaller lighter bike might be a more reasonable choice for the terrain that I ride."

This statement is probably also true. But, MOSTLY because the rider has tried to rationalize with his peers, has been concentrating on the good qualities of the smaller bikes, and/or has not read this message.

For a rider to be successful in the self-treatment of this progressively worsening situation, one must focus on the good qualities of his big bore and the reasons that brought him into this elite class of motorcycling in the first place.

How about this. Compared to a smaller bike, your 500 is:
Faster,
Set up properly, has buckets of smooth electric type power,
Has lots more torque,
Is more versatile,
Is close to or is the same weight,
Is MUCH more durable,
Has more longevity (won't get thrashed as fast),
Requires a lot less maintenance,
Initial purchase cost is less,
Cost less to operate on a yearly basis (less parts replacement – more rear tires though),
Top ends last WAY LONGER,
Holds it's resale value better,
Requires very little clutch use,
Requires very little shifting,.
And can "cover up" your sloppy riding mistakes.

Dang, if it's ridden correctly, it is more efficient and might cause you to expend less energy riding in the tight than a smaller bike!

It could be said that more power is detrimental to fast riding in the tight.
This is true, but that’s why we concentrate on a skill called throttle control. Practice makes perfect.

500's also:
Wheelie at will,
Are intimidating to others,
Can blast riders on the trail that you don't like,
Sound cooler,
AND ARE MORE FUN!

Ain’t that REALLY what it’s all about? It damn sure is!

It might be a different story if my family’s survival was dependent on my winning every race.
But it doesn’t, and I ride/race for the fun of it!
For me, that’s bottom line. Fun.

Let’s face it. Dirt bikes are not practical.
So what if your buddies think that a smaller bike would be more “reasonable.”.…Roost `em!
You were not concerned with reason when you joined this elite class…And you are not concerned with it now!

Actually, regarding reason, considering the inherent qualities of our 500’s, big bores make MORE sense than smaller bikes.

Also:
It ain't in production any more! It’s a rarity!
If you cross over, you'll miss it. Not only that, used 500’s are gonna’ get expensive.
If I had the ability, I’d purchase every used 500 that I found for sale.
A large percentage of the sellers will regret the sale of their trusty bikes and want them back!

Lastly, a big bore rider recently said,
“If it's paid for and you don't have any serious problems riding it in the woods, slap yourself for letting the situation get this far out of hand."

During a recent treatment session of the "should I get a smaller bike question" at Extremedirtbike.com, fellow open class rider Matt Willard from Pennsylvania said:

“Ironically, I find myself with just the opposite opinion. I've been riding a YZ250 in the woods for about 4 years, but recently I picked up a KTM 500. The Eastern woods are tight, rocky, and downright ignorant. I absolutely love the power characteristics of the 500 in the woods. Ride it a gear high and go anywhere you want. I've not yet had any overheating problems with the 500. The 250 just didn't have the power to ride a gear high and the lower gears hit real hard and quick in the tight stuff. Maybe a wide ratio bike like a WR or KTM EXC are smoother, but the extra power and fun factor of the 500 seals the deal for me !!!

Nicely said! I do agree!
The required treatment is the same if a 500cc rider is being “influenced” toward a fourstroke:

No doubt, the new fourstrokes are the best they’ve ever been.
And the fourstrokes are as practical as a dirt bike can be.

But, as far as I’m concerned, in a nutshell, they are too technically complicated, too expensive, and everyone has one.
In a short while, how many will have a 500cc two stroke? A select few.

If I were to buy a fourstroke, I wouldn’t buy a small bore.
I’d pay the same price, for a big one and have more power.
Why purchase a bike with the same weight but with less power?

In summary, the continued existence of our beloved 500’s, depends upon the proper self treatment from each of us, at the immediate onset of the wicked feelings associated with the question.
Surely the opinions expressed here can help bring a rider back from the dark side or stop him from crossing over in the first place.

If you are a big bore rider, sooner or later the question will arise and you’ll need help. Your survival depends upon the help that you find so, copy, paste, and file this message for later use. It will be the difference between permanent satisfaction and sleepless nights. Sanity or insanity.

Keep the faith.
You’ll be glad you did.
LONG LIVE THE 500's! "

Top Bottom