Suspension set-up KTM 300 EXC '03

saint_steven

Feb 17, 2003
Just a few rides on my '03 300 EXC and I knew the forks were harsh on the mid-stroke. I replaced front and rear springs for my weight of 200 lbs, (rear spring is the new titanium two-piece unit), and Moto-Pro re-valving front and rear (with rear bladder kit). The whole set-up works great at high speeds, regardless of terrain, but in the tight trees with roots and baseball-size rocks, its way harsh. What else can I do?

dog2

Sep 26, 2002
It sounds to me like Pro-action didn't valve it to meet your needs. In my experience, the only way to get plush action on rocks and roots is with good valving. I would call Pro-action, tell them your problem, and ask them to fix it for free. You also have to do a good job of telling them how you ride and where you want the suspension to work the best. In my experience, I have never found a KTM since they went with WP components that was as versatile (plush AND controlled) as the older Ohlins/Marz combo or Yamaha suspension, but a good valving can get it close.

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
Correct on the above statement. A reputable suspension shop should be able to deliver what you ask to you satisfaction. Give them a call and see what they can do. It might be a pain in the rear shipping back and forth but you should get what you pay for.

Top Bottom