Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
The EXC300 does not come with a flywheel weight. The flywheel itself is heavier than the one you will find on the MXC or SX models. You can ad as little or as much weight to a flywheel as you feel works for you....or you can 'shave' a flywheel to remove weight.  I rode a 03' 300EXC just last week and I personally feel it would probaly benifit with a bit more flywheel weight, especially for tight woods. Which ever you choose, have it done by a proffesional, flywheels need to balanced.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
If you havent already, try adjusting the powervalve before looking into a flywheel weight. Powervalve adj. can have big impact on where the "hit" comes on - making it more or less easy for trail riding.

ktmrandy

Apr 4, 2002
I used a 12 oz flywheel for a year which seemed to help in the mud and disgusting terrrain. Then I had it shaved down to 9 oz which gave the bike more snap. Then I removed it altogether and like the bike best now. I am a new rider to 2 strokes and the weight helped me get used to 2 stroke power. As I improved I like the weight less and less until I did not want it. Now I like the snap of my 300. The one thing I did not like about the weight was it took the bike too long to climb into the power band if you did not use the clutch. If you were in the power band it definately helped the bike to hookup. I got my weight from Sthealy and was able to install it and remove it pretty easily. I sometimes put it on form muddy races but remove it for good traction days.

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
KTM Mike is correct, powervalve adjustment plays a very big role in how the power will be delivered.  Allowing the powervalve to open earlier will result in more bottom end, and less of a hit.

Top Bottom