Rockymountainatvmc.com - Dirt bike & ATV parts

33mm Mikuni vs. 35mm Keihin

I looked on the Stroker website and see that they sell 2 pumper carbs for the KLX 300. The 33mm needs some head stay grinding for the carb to fit but doesn't say anything about the 35mm. The 35 is $150 more. Anyone with comments on either? I see a lot of people with the 33 and they really like it. I'd like top avoid grinding if possible. Any help is appreciated.

penguin

N. Texas SP
I have used the old 36mm mikuni, the 33mm mikuni and the 35mm keihin. The 36mm was the cleanest install. I still had to do some grinding withthe 35mm and also put a spacer under the back of the gastank to clear the top of the carburetor. For a stock motor, I would go with the 33mm, it gives better low speed response in conjunction with a oversized headpipe, I would not use an aftermarket silencer unless I just had the money laying around.. The grinding is not that hard and does not affect the strength of the frame, I have done it on 2 of the KLX's I have owned with no problems.

------------------
You weren't born knowing this stuff.

In fact, Larry at Stroker only recomends the 35 if you have done extensive mods to the motor(big bore, cams,etc).He also says the 33 is easier to tune for a novice. Nice part about Stroker and getting the carb from them is you get a new throttle assembly with cables and an assortment of jets and instructions for tuning. They are also extremely helpfull and very knowledgeable about the KLX's. I cannot recommend Larry and his company enough!

- a d v e r t i s e m e n t -

Stroker is where all my aftermarket motor parts come from. i agree that they are the best outfit for ordering parts. I always go there first before looking elsewhere