riverside

Aug 17, 2001
I have found a 3.7 IMS for sale for my 380exc and am wondering about fit and how obtrusive the tank is. I was initially looking at the 4.2 gal IMS because of the added capacity but am apprehensive about the size. Also I have read on another post that the Clark tanks are better. Anyone have experience with any of these?

SndyRds

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 1, 2001
I sure wish I could help you more. I was trying to find out about which tank is right for my KX 250 and found little information. I did find out that in certain situations both tanks fit , or don't fit well on certain models. IE Clarke's fit well on XR 400's but not the IMS, on XR 600's the IMS fit well, but not the Clarke. I feel both companies make good tanks however.I did get an IMS tank used from Smitty (DRN member, Thanks!). the area where the petcock mounts is curved and leaked horribly. I carefully applied black silicone and have not had a problem since. I used the search engine Google.com and typed in "Clarke KX 250 and IMS KX 250". I got results that sent me to message boards of riding clubs around the country and thier want adds. You might try looking up a local desert or enduro club and go to one of thier events and see what they are using. Good luck and post us what works out.

:D :D :D

JAFChE

Oct 23, 2000
Tanks a lot... ;-)

Riverside,

I can't speak for the 380EXC tank from Clarke but I just bought and installed a 3.1 gallon tank on my 2001 KTM 400 E/XC. The fit and finish are top quality. Clarke did their homework and there is no interference with the triple clamp or handlebars when turning either. I personally think that Clarke could have squeezed in another 2/10's of a gallon if they had allowed the tank to fit as tightly as the stock tank did against the radiators on the 400 E/XC.

I've seen the IMS tanks on several of my riding buddies' KX250's in both the 3.? and 4.2 gallon configuration. They're quite "bulbous" on the top, but don't appear to hinder these "A" class trail riders at all, not to mention 115-120 miles per tank. After the first 20 miles the fuel occupies the bottom portion of the tanks and the weight is not noticable.

Good Luck on the search.

Jeff

Idaho Charley

Jul 20, 2000
I have a 98 380 EXC which I fitted a 3.5 gal Clark (natural color) tank. 100% happy with the fit and finish of the Clark tank. I did have to slightly extend my steering stops to prevent the triple tree from hitting the tank.

Orginally I was going to install the 4.2 IMS tank, but after seeing one and listening to the person complain about the installation I decided on the Clarke.

riverside

Aug 17, 2001
Mileage

Idaho Charley, how many miles can you get out of the 3.5 Clarke tank? I am still working om my jetting because I havn't had the bike long but I am looking at about 60 miles stock. I am trying to get colser to 80.

Top Bottom