3rd frame broken

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
DEANSFASTWAY.

We had that problem with my grandsons KX65. Wound up making gussets from some .063 4130 tubing and gloved in the frame cradle where the breakage was starting. Also, had to plate the front downtube. Frame didn't break after that, but he eventually started out jumping the suspension and we got him a KTM. Problem solved. :thumb:

jpuetz

May 2, 2001
I've seen a frame break a couple of times on a RM85 this season. The kid riding it is a very good rider though, and uses all of the bike.

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Yeah it seems a little redundant though , espescially since last time we had to weld up the cases from where the swingarm bolt cracked the L/S case . The time before that the cyl studs pulled out if the cyl head . This kid is fast MX and I guess you could say he uses all of the bike also . We are gusseting the frames up under the tank as it seems as though the top tube wants to go upward and tha bottom tube and engine cradle wants to go downward, so it seems to pull the motor apart . At least thats what weve seen . We also changed a fair bit of 65 frames also . ???

jpuetz

May 2, 2001
WOW!! That's a lot of damage. The RM I saw had broken the down-tubes from the neck and dented in the pipe. What year of KX's were those?

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
02s. Kaw has warranteed the frames but no labor . They wouldnt give us new cases either so I had to weld them .

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Dean,
Do you know if Kawi fixed the frame problem on the 03's?? WHen you said that the cylinder studs pulled out, was it from a high compression motor?? How often should i torque down the cyl head?? My freind just bought her son a 03kx65 and i promised too help the kid out :) :)
Thanks,
Rick

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
No the cyl studs pulled out when the frame stretched the engine in 2 different directions .It also cracked the cases near the swingarm pivot . That was on the 85 . This week the KX 100 frame broke in half while running near the front at the KAW R.O.C. Supermini class .

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…