dirttrails

Mar 20, 2002
Since this is my first winter with a bike and it's bound to happen sometime, I have to ask this question.

What should I do when I drown this 4 stroke engine in a water puddle? I know I've gotten some water past the air filter already, but the motor didn't die out so good or bad I kept riding. However I'm a bit concerned that moisture in the engine will create havoc.

From some dirt bike video's it looks like to two stroke guys turn the bike upside down and take the spark plug out and crank the engine over to pump out the water. For a four stroke would this be the same?

Thanks.

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Not really because the water never gets under the piston like in a 2cycle . If youve got a comp release you could pull it in and kick it over to pump out the water . If you get water in the crankcase you better park it until you can drain & refill oil . so it doesnt foam or milk up on you : bad , very bad .

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Hmm - I could be wrong but I believe what I would do is stand her on end to get the water out of the pipe, remove spark plug and kick over to get water out of the jug, squeeze water out of air filter and drain the float bowl. Same as I would do on a 2 stroke.

I wouldn't think you'd get water in the crankcase from a simple dunking in a puddle :scream:

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
The crankcase should have some sort of a vent. You need to make sure water does not get past the vent. Water in the crankcase will destroy the bearings.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom