4 Stroke Bike Suggestions for Girlfriend

KTMrad

Mar 20, 2001
XR200 v. DR200 v. TTR225 v. XT225
Would like some opinions on the following: Looking for a good bike for my girlfriend to learn on, she has ridden my DR350 a few times, but a bit heavy and big for her, she is 5'8" tall, likes electric start, and we dual sport ride trails and fire roads, this will be for a couple of years until she can upgrade to a bigger bike after getting lots of experience. My thoughts as follows:

XR200 - kick start, 17" rear, small, least suspension travel, but light, needs dual sport kit.

DR200 - OK choice, dual sport ready, electric start, 249 lbs, but prefer the Yamahas .

TTR225 - Good choice, good suspension travel, but the heaviest - 259 lbs, needs dual sport kit.

XT 225 - the lightest electric start in this group - 238 lbs, dual sport ready, same suspension travel as the TTR225

I think it's between the Yamahas, unless I hear lots of different suggestions for something els.

Thanks

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Honda is coming out with a CRF230, which will replace the XR200. Don't let the CR designation fool you, it's still just a trail bike. However, it has electric start, and looks like it'll have better suspension than the XR200. It's worth checking out as well. It will also need a dual sport kit. The specs and photo's are on Honda's web site.

cjpvideo

Aug 12, 2002
I'd suggest the TTR-225. A little on the heavy side but smooth riding. Also she'll be able to have both feet flat on the ground while in the woods. I've got one myself that I am trying to sell (2000 model) The reason Iam selling is because I've upgraded to a the YZ line.

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
One other thing to consider is tank width and seat width. My wife has a heck of a time with the width of some of the bikes you listed, where they bother her hip joints. Make sure your girlfriend is comfortable with the width.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
If I were in your shoes I would be looking very closely at the new WR250F Yamaha!! In stock form they are very docile rider friendly bikes, have ALL the new tech in suspention, AWESOME woods bikes and I believe they now come with electric start!! The really HUGE benifit of this bike is: upgrading is FREE!! Once your girl friend gets the hang of it she can have a GNNC winning bike under her!! I bought and sold a brand new one out of Canada (4800 to your door if you want one) and had it weighed for shipment - 251 pounds with gas !! SUPER LIGHT BIKE!! Some thing about weight: dont believe what you read about ANY factory weight claims!! Of all the bikes I have shipped over the years NONE of them were even close (always claimed less - some by as much as 70 pounds).
IMO you would be doing your girl friend a big dis-service if you didnt at least take her to the Yammie shop and let her try one one!!
my 2 bits
Woodsy

woods_rider1

Sep 27, 2001
I have ridden the ttr-225 and the xr 200, I would NEVER dual sport either of them! The XR is slow and the TTR is HEAVY!!! very heavy. I am 6'-2" @200# and I struggle with the ttr when lifting it on a stand or after my wife spills on the trail. If you are going to dual sport, make sure it can do 55 comfortably, not revved to the moon. I agree w/woodsy, a WR might be a GREAT bike to dual sport, I rode one in the woods, and it had plenty of power except when i was looking for 70mph on some fire roads, other than that, great bike.

stormer94

~SPONSOR~
May 30, 2001
The dudes girlfriend is 5'8" tall. no way a new rider is gonna be happy on a bike that tall with a 39" seat height. I'd do the TTR225. Sure it's got a little mass to it (and that's relative) if your doing crazy woods stuff. A girlfriend putting around is not going crazy.

It's a tough decision, pick the right bike and you have hit a home run and are on the fast track to being able to spend MUCH more time and money on bike stuff. Mess up and you'll be watching chick flicks on the couch Saturday nights instead of camping by the trail.

I'd lean toward whatever bike she can sit comfortably on and touch flat footed. That's very confidence inspiring for new riders.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
It's a tough decision, pick the right bike and you have hit a home run and are on the fast track to being able to spend MUCH more time and money on bike stuff. Mess up and you'll be watching chick flicks on the couch Saturday nights instead of camping by the trail.

Stormer makes a good debate point!! Buy the bike that FITS her - PERIOD!! I really enjoyed your web page Stormer. It looks to me like you have some experience breakin in new riders - that move from the TTR to the Kawi was really sweet. Gave him the chance to get some seat time before you cut him loose on the pipe - good move!!
Your comments about wanting to take a big bore dirtbike and crotch rocketize it are not far fetch at all (I think we would be very good friends if we were neighbors). A buddy just set his KX500 up for drag racing, pulled 12's with it!! Guys at the strip could not believe it. Larry was within a couple bike lengths of an R1... He drew more attention in the pits then Don Garlits would have! I told Larry afterwards - "what these people dont realize is you and I are goiing out for some serious dirt riding on the same bike tommorrow" - what fun!!
I really liked your 250r pic - I have a mint 86 - 350X in my stable. A lot of fun!! I had a 250R like yours that would run with my sons Banshee - those were fast! Glad to see your doing the bike thing with your kids though - I think teachin them the dirtbikin thing makes them much more versatile, once they got it - it is theirs for EVER!!
Check out my signature - the love for bikes shows :))
Woodsy

cmott

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2001
Every thing that you mentioned in a bike makes me think you already made your decision, the XT225. It is the lightest electric start dual sport which is what you are looking for. It really isnt a bad bike as long as you use it for what is it made for. It is alot lighter then the TTR with the same suspension travel. you might also check out the Kawasaki Super Sherpa

stormer94

~SPONSOR~
May 30, 2001
Woodsy,
Move on up. the weather is great here! :)

The kid likes the KX now, but he griped when he first got it... To used to idling around, and that ain't working on a 2 stroke. We rode last night for a few hours, and had a good time.

the KX has now finally become a good bike. If he continues to learn and understand and appreciate the differences in how we ride, I might pop him on a 125. I am more motivated, he is not. That doesn't mean he likes it any less. just differently. I'm from the old school, MX pants are to be neatly tucked into your boots. He's from the newer school where it's cooler to have baggy riding pants (worst invention ever in my estimate). Although I ride with a guy that likes them because he can get his knee braces under them more easily.

Just like this post here. Everybody is convinced there is a one size fits all bike. I'm afraid it's a growth period. You're gonna have to buy 2, 3, or maybe even 4 bikes as kids grow. I am willing to concede that maybe it is different for adults. You are one size not likely to grow in physical dimension. But when you first start out, you suck... pretty bad. having a high strung big zoot bike is really just the fast track to getting a trip to the hospital. You have got to have a bike to learn on, then one to ride on.

my .02

Last edited:

cmott

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2001
Just like this post here. Everybody is convinced there is a one size fits all bike. I'm afraid it's a growth period. You're gonna have to buy 2, 3, or maybe even 4 bikes as kids grow. I am willing to concede that maybe it is different for adults. You are one size not likely to grow in physical dimension. But when you first start out, you suck... pretty bad. having a high strung big zoot bike is really just the fast track to getting a trip to the hospital. You got have a bike to learn on, then one to ride on.

I agree! :thumb:

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
No doubt Stormer - then the worst part (really even worse then the hospital trip cause most physical injuries heal) is just what you said "be spending your saturdays on the coutch instead of riding"!! Nothing worse then to see a new rider loose interest because they tried to start out on a bike out of their league!! I would love to come ride with you some time!! Right now I am working on a trip to Salina Utah (open country/miles of endless trails in mountains ect..) CANT WAIT!!! Here in Mi we are restricted to ORV trails (there are over 1200 miles but man it would be neat to ride something different and legal for a while). WHats it like in the great FREEDOM state of Montana??
Enjoy those youngens NOW (looks like you are), they grow REAL fast!!!
Woodsy

stormer94

~SPONSOR~
May 30, 2001
Woodsy,

I ride out of my garage, across the street and ride all over, wherever I feel like it, trail or not. :) I think I probably take a lot of that for granted. I can't imagine not riding wherever I feel like it. I can have about as much fun as I want, all within a 5 minute ride from my house we have about 6-8 great riding spots. Gravel pits, hills, trails, the old MX track....etc.

<----one lucky bastage :thumb:

Last edited:

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
what about that new ktm 250 four stroke, might be a bit tall. but there sweet bikes, looks to be the wife bike of the year!

Top Bottom