woodsracer250

Dec 5, 2009
Hi Ya'll

I have a question about 4 stroke throttle cables I'm hoping ya'll can help me with so here goes.

Could someone please give me a good answer as to why 4 strokes have 2 throttle cables?

Ok, Before you answer this lemme tell you what i already know.
I know one is an accel cable and 1 is a decel cable. Now, the decel cable is where i get a little fuzzy. Ok, So we call it a decel cable but its not a "Push / Pull" type of cable. If you tried to "Push" with this type of cable the cable would "Bunch up" in the housing but for it to be a decel cable it would have to be a push type.. A "Push / Pull" cable would be like the cable found on a PWC or boat for steering. Although it would be smaller this is still the type of cable that would be required for a push cable which would be a decel type of cable so that dont make sense. Also, Why would it even need a decel cable? Have you ever tried to turn the throttle valve on one of these? the spring is so stiff it will hurt your fingers. I asked around at my local motorcycle shop / dealer but no one knew the real answer there either (No surprise here) Can someone PLEASE shed some light on this for me?

jsantapau

Nov 10, 2008
although called a push /pull throttle it is more of a pull /pull throttle , the one cable will pull the throttle open and IF the throttle sticks the other cable will pull it shut.

and it is there for safety IF the throttle sticks

as to why most four strokes have them,most two strokes don't and a lot of states that have inspection laws recquire them on street bikes you will have to ask the lawyers lawmakes and engineers as to why the difference , but as for me the simple reason why they are there is for safety, IF the throttle sticks open you can pull it shut

woodsracer250

Dec 5, 2009
Hey Jsantapa I REALLY REALLY appreciate the understanding on the throttle cable issue. Also, I see you are from NE Fla? Oh Yea? Where at? Im in fla also lets get together and ride sometime. Are you a member of FTR??

jsantapau

Nov 10, 2008
not from just relocated to only been down here about a year in Clay County/Orange Park area. haven't ridden since before I moved down, not a member of FTR.... yet . Was waiting to try and get a few things straightened out but maybe just waiting for the right kick in the a$$ to get me motivated.

Top Bottom