OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
What in Sam Hill anyways??
Need to replace the front on my XR650R and it is a Dunlop D739fa-j 100/80-21.
Seems this tire is 4 stroke specific???
What is specific about a 4 stroke tire???

Mebbe just constructed heavier to support all that poundage?
(ME & the bike? bwahahaha!)
Anyways, before i go plonking down for another Maxxis IT (one on the rear needs replacing too anyways.) is there a reason i should just get a replacement Dunlop "fa-j"???

The curiosity is getting to me. LOL!

A sub question though:
If you blow out a tire (& stupidly forget your tire irons at the truck) ride it very s-l-o-w-l-y back to the truck. (about 14 miles on oilfield roads) and it LOOKS o.k., could it BE o.k.???
Or better to just replace it along with the tube?

Yea i remembered the Malted milk balls (melted) but forgot the tire irons.......someone please kick my :uh:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
LFAO! Check the sidewall for obvious damage and if the tread is good, use the tire. Not sure how the tire you specified will perform for you.

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
Well, i it has a few "lines" on it since it was tottally flat for 14 miles. (so much for slime sealant by the way)
The tube is toast from the tire rolling arount so much.
Was just a pinhole leak, but didnt hold any air at all on the trail. (i DID remember the air pump. although it didnt do any good.)

But i was thinking of going with Maxxis's desert IT series tires on both ends anyways.
They say the sidwalls are stiffer to prevent pinchflats.
I have a std Maxxis IT on the rear, and its been just great.

I am just curious about that "FA-J" rating.
Seems like the Dunlop 739 is the only front tire to have that rating that i can find?
What are other bigredpig owners using for a replacement front tire i wonder?
Of course with 650R's the FRONT tire might be lasting the life of the bike, eh??? ha ha ha! :ride:

Solid State

Mar 9, 2001
Four stroke specific rear tires (Dunlop) have stiffer sidewalls to manage the torque of a four stroke engine. This was told to me by the dunlop pros at Budds a few years ago when my wife bought me a new rear tire for fathers day. It had a strange designation and I brought it to the track to have the dunlop guys put it on. When I asked what it was, they said it was four stroke specific and relatively rare to get. They said it was an excellent choice for a 250 two stroke, because with the stiffer sidewall, I could use less air pressure and at the same time increase the contact patch. They said it was a trick that the pros use - and it has the same weight as the standard Dunlop rear 739. Didn't help me though, my problem has to do with not rotating the trottle tube far enough for long enough time - nevermind.

Anyway, I have no idea why a four stroke would need a specific front tire. Could be sales BS.

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
BS? Probably. Just seems funny to go through the bother.
I ordered up a set of the Maxxis desert IT's anywhos.
When i saw mention of "better traction in sand ie taller knobs" it got me hooked.
And my regular Maxxis IT is down below the wearbars now.
(dont want to run 'em bald like i used to in the old days....ha ha!!)

Will have to leave a product report when i get 'em.

Only BAD thing about Maxxis is its a bear getting them ON!!! UGH! :bang:

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
OnAnySunday said:
Well, i it has a few "lines" on it since it was tottally flat for 14 miles. (so much for slime sealant by the way)
Was just a pinhole leak, but didnt hold any air at all on the trail. (i DID remember the air pump. although it didnt do any good.)

Had another "Murphy's law" moment tonight.
When i took of the tire & tube, just for grin & giggles i aired up the tube to see if the "slime" sealent would still plug the hole.
I checked on it tonight, & it's STILL holding air....... :rotfl:

I cant win....... :whoa: :bang:

Top Bottom