mmz77

Oct 15, 2006
Hi just got a brand new 4wd f150 and am trying to figure out how to work the manual engage. Is it normal for there to be some lite grinding noise if you try to take it slowly from the neutral select to 4L? And after you put the transmission in neutral for 4L you put it back in drive correct? Please help this grinding is worrying me! :cool:

mmz77

Oct 15, 2006
And i am doing everything the manual says. Some info it left out. :)
P.S. My friend said don't ease it back and do it fast to prevent the grind is this normal. Sorry but I worry too much! :cool:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
My 1979 Bronco did it, my 1995 Bronco has does it since I drove it off the showroom floor, my 2006 F150 SuperCrew does it a little. Since I have no idea what your vehicle is I'd say chances are yes it's normal.

mmz77

Oct 15, 2006
yeah thanks, mine is a brand new 2008 f150 4.6 stx with 4wd. I just wanted to get used to it in-case I ever needed to use it. Thanks for your input. :cool:

sparkysakitas

~SPONSOR~
Aug 31, 2005
my fords and my dodges have done it also.
not sure about my new ford as i havent tried to put it in 4low
oh and congrats on the new truck :cool:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
to limit the noisage (but there will always be some) put the rig in neutral and set the park brake before going into 4-lo.

I've been around too many guys who have dropped the chain in the transfer case because they thought they were cool and could go from 4-hi to 4-lo without stopping.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
XRpredator said:
to limit the noisage (but there will always be some) put the rig in neutral and set the park brake before going into 4-lo.

I've been around too many guys who have dropped the chain in the transfer case because they thought they were cool and could go from 4-hi to 4-lo without stopping.

:nod:

I think that is what the manual says to do. I sledom use 4L on my truck (2002 F150) but I always stop and put her in neutral when I do. Noise has always been minimal.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom