rm 125 07, gearbox/clutch power not getting transmitted smoothly

bunnet

Mar 22, 2009
Here Goes

Bike has done 20 hours just had new piston and gearbox oil.

Heard a crunching grinding noise while on the track got to the point where the bike stopped, had to kick harder than normal the gear lever into neutral.

The bike will start fine and rev no problem so not a motor issue.

Put bike on stand warmed it up and engaged the gears with no issue but the back wheel will not spin at the speed you would expect for the gear and is very judderly, more than usual.

pulled clutch in but made no difference wheel still spun but again like it was actually engaged, applied brake pressure and pulled clutch in, removed brake pressure with clutch pulled in but still spun up juddering.

Gearbox oil clean and at correct level. no water has been added to coolant.

Very confused and obviously gutted.

Any advice will be appreciated! Thanks

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
First, check your clutch adjustment for proper adjustment. I would drain the gearbox oil and look for swarf in the oil. If the oil is clean, remove the clutch cover and the clutch and check the clutch basket for excessive wear and also check the bearing in the clutch hub. If that's ok, turn the gear shafts over by hand. They should turn smoothly without any noticable drag.

Next step is to split the cases and visually check the gearbox.

Just my $ .02

bunnet

Mar 22, 2009
hey Ol'89r

Thanks for comments, already drained oil it is grey and had tiny shiny parts in it, not sure what you mean by "swarf". clutch adjustment fine. Just about to go check the clutch. If i need to spilt the casing then it's off to the mechanic, gearbox is not my territory. will keep you posted

Thanks

bunnet

Mar 22, 2009
needed 3 gears a selector fork and a selector drum...........so bought a crf 250 2008. rm is getting fixed in the meantime...

Top Bottom