46RE Transmission noise (2001 Quad Cab, Dodge)

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Here's the sitch. 77K miles on the 01 Quad cab and never a problem. On the way home Sat, all was normal until I heard a strange whining noise. Kind of sounded like a whine from a am radio station when you are picking up interference from the plug wires. As I pulled into the drive I noticed a little hesitation as I gassed it up the small hill. As I pulled into the garage I could really hear the noise, I shifted into neutral and raced the engine a bit and the noise got real bad. As I slid it inot park the noise went away. I put it into reverse and it took a bit to shift and the noise came right back. I said to heck with it and went to bed for the night.

It's Sunday and I've had some time to piddle with it, here's what I've discovered. When I start the truck there is no noise. Everything shifts fine and works perfectly for a few minutes of driving. At 1st I thought it only happened when it got warm but that's not the case at all. When it starts to make the noises I stop and shift to park (the only choise for no noise) then back into gear and the noise comes back. It's also very slow to shift into gear. The kicker is if I turn off the ignition and start it back up the noise is gone just like it had been sitting long enough to cool down, even though it was only about 2 seconds. I'm stumped on this one because it sounds like the tranny if going to grind itself apart, yet by cutting electrical power to it seems to reset it.

Anyone else have this problem yet or have any ideas?

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Ugh... Monday update. :(
Seems the culprit is a bad torque convertor. The transmission place said there is a lot of metal shavings in the pan and he thinks it came from the convertor. Lot's O` Monetary damage. :whiner: As if that's not bad enough, it won't be ready till Thurday so I have the rent car to factor in.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom