48 tooth sprocket questions

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
i am interested in getting a 48 tooth rear sprocket, and leaving the front sprocket stock. What chain length would I need for this combo? Also, will it fit in the stock guard thing that the sprocket goes into? Thanks in advance for the quick help.

KnoxKDX

Jan 29, 2003
I have that setup and all works fine with stock parts. I bought a 110 link chain I believe.

kx200

Feb 1, 2001
If you can try to leave the front sprocket at 13 tooth.
If you go to an even number sprocket you’ll get a funny ware pattern on the teeth, any one running a 12 or 14 take a look at your sprocket it won’t hurt any thing but the chain hits the same teeth every time same thing happens on the back but not as bad.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Hey jaybird! Here 'ya go!! ;)

So, with an odd number of teeth on a sprocket there are teeth that don't 'hit' the chain?

A 12/47 combo gets you a ratio of 3.91(66666...). Doesn't seem to be much chance of anything even going on there! If it did, why would that be a problem? 108 links of something going around 12 points of something else ends up engaging a whole lotta tooths.

Now if you had a number of links evenly divisable by the number of teeth......

A 48 tooth rear will run with the oem 108link chain.

The advantage of adding one tooth to the rear if you want a lower gear ratio isn't a whole lot. Do the math.

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
Thanks guys!... so, what I understand is that the 13/48 sprocket setup will run a stock 108 link chain. And will the stock back block/sprocket guard thing work?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Yes, it will work with the stock back block/sprocket guard thing.

It will work with the stock chain guide, too! ;)

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
give me about 2 more days and you can have a program that will figure your chain length...it's on this forum now with just gear ratios and speeds

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
LOL, canyn....
I think I better lay off of this one. You have it just fine. :)

Well heck, I just caint hep myself....
KX200...dewd....if you see any sort of wear pattern at all on any of your sprocket teeth, it has nothing to do with the sprocket combination. It has to do with your chain being stetched beyond it's recommended limits. In other words, it's worn out and needs to be replaced. OR...you need to check out your alignment...OR...you have a kinked link or two in that maintenance-free o-ring chain you are running.
:)

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
ZKDX...

Is your program going to take into account the fact that some folks will run a chain set-up in the back of the adjustment to obtain a slight change in wheel base? Also remember that some models have different length swingarms.

Seems you are going to need quite a database to accomplish what you are saying for just the KDX, let alone all model bikes.

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
I am runnin an o-ring chain. I hav a 2003 KDX 200, and I am on my 2nd chain. I have had the bike about 3/4 a year, and I did NOT change my sprockets through the first chain, because they had absolutelty NO wear. this time, weather or not they DO have wear, they are getting changed with some steel sunstars... or somehting along that line. By the way, i DO have that speed program that someone updated. Im really interested in seeng this sprocket one. Thanks for the help guys!
P.S. I have tons of leftover stock parts that I have taken off my bike, to try to make it look MX. E mail me if u need something. Ill sell it cheap, just to get rid of it. my e-mail is XR100Man18@HotMail.com

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
jaybird...my program only figures chain length based on the theoretical formula--that is using center distance, #teeth on sprockets, and chain pitch, there is no way i have the time nor want to try to take into account every adjustment or how much slack a person runs. But so many people ask about chain length, i thought i would try to make a starting point.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…