Rocket Ray

Nov 8, 2002
I have a '95 Yamaha WR250 and an '86 Honda CR250, both of which are currently running on Honda HP2 synthetic oil at the recommended 32:1 ratio. Both bikes run well (and have done so for several years with no problems), but exhaust deposits on boldywork (and in silencer) are a real mess! I am seriously considering changing to a synthetic oil that specifically recommends running at about 50:1, such as Bel-Ray, Maxima 927, or Amsoil Series 2000. Aside from the necessary re-jetting, does anyone have any advice or real experience with 50:1 mixtures. Recommendations? Any comments on the Maxima 927 Castor stuff?

little jeff

Aug 20, 2002
Rocket Ray, I would stick with the HP2 oil, It is a good synthetic oil. I run it at 40:1 in my KTM 300EXC with no problems at all. No spooge what so ever, it's all about jetting. I personally would be leary of running 50:1 in my bike, to much gas and not enough oil in my opinion.
Little Jeff

djr

Apr 22, 2002
Golden Spectro has been around forever. Old name HI-Point oil. Penton team used it in 70's. I have use it last 4 years at 52:1 with 1 gal. race gas and 4 gal. hi test unleaded just dump in 12 oz. bottle. Call company about older cr. The company can verify ratio and they are very helpful.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Golden Spectro, I have found, runs just fine between 42 and 52:1. I ran it at 32:1 and it gooped up my powervalve to no end. The manufacturer recommended 32:1 as usual, but GS seems to be real heavy at that rate. I'm sure it wasn't my jetting cause at normal track conditions, it doesn't bog or ping. I ran 52:1 for 9 years on my other RM and it ran grreat, no problems at all. I'm sticking to that with the new Rm as well.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
How much oil you need depends on the amount of Heat/RPM you are running in different bikes and applications. I would feel safer however running 32:1-40:1 at least in a 250. Your spooge problems are being caused by 1. improper jetting 2. possibly too cold of a heat range spark plug. I would recommend rejetting your bike before messing with the oil.

cfr1970

Sponsoring Member
Jun 27, 2002
Check with the Honda dealer. Most of the mechanics will tell you what they run in their bikes. I have a Kawasaki KDX that reccomends 32:1 and have been running 50:1 Bell Ray with no probs for years. (As a matter of fact, I still get some smoke when cold.) Again check with the mechs.

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
If the oil manufacturer recommends,50-1 like amsoil or belray mc 1 in a 250 you will be safe.The manuals tell you 32-1 thinking of the average joe using a less concentrated lubricant... HA I did it again. ;)

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
cfr1970, going to a leaner oil ratio without rejetting will RICHEN your fuel/air mixture, therefore causing even more smoke and spooge!
bigred455, what do you think the advantages are of running LESS oil other than the lesser cost of oil?

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
Originally posted by Studboy
cfr1970, going to a leaner oil ratio without rejetting will RICHEN your fuel/air mixture, therefore causing even more smoke and spooge!
bigred455, what do you think the advantages are of running LESS oil other than the lesser cost of oil?

I am not saying their is a advantage or disadvantage running a leaner pre mix( less oil),but I will say oils that are of a better quality like some synthetics will do the same or better lubrication of a petroleum based oil without mixing 32-1. I rather listen to a oil manufacturer on their recommendation when using their product.We just did my friends top end,he was using amsoil 2000 mixing 50-1 .His crank halves were pretty well covered.I would wipe them dry,then rotate,then wipe then rotate etc,it just kept picking up the residual oil.We ride just tracks (up in the rpms) 50:1 with the right oil is plenty.No, this is not a scientific study,but my eyes do not lie.Running a richer oil ratio than 40-1 with this particular oil would be a overkill, from what I have seen.I have been running 44-1,After we took his top end off I swiched to 50-1. for my bike.

Top Bottom