go4dirt

Sep 30, 2002
Just got a 2003 KTM 525 EXC and broke it in last weekend = FUN = oil change needed.

The oil change procedure was quite complex compared to my CRF450R. Besides the fact that I had to use a 1.2 foot breaker bar to get the long oil screen plug out (do they hire gorillas at the KTM factory?) the manual claims that you should lay the bike on it's side and fill the oil filter chambers with oil up to 50%.

Do you guys actually do that? Anything else I need to know regarding this?

flea

Oct 8, 2001
The long screen bolt seems to always get tight. I use copper "anti-seeze" and mine still is tighter when I remove it than it was when I put it on. Seems most people change out the filters every other oil change. I use the SS filters and clean them and the screens every change with an ultrasonic cleaner. You don't need to go that way but in the long run it is a little easier and one could argue that there is an advantage to having clean filters every oil change Otherwise keep a supply of filters o-rings and crush washers on hand. and change the oil every other ride

john mcdee

Jan 9, 2002
I bought a mxc-400 3 weeks ago and first thing I did was read manual. and get two filters, I called my friend with a KTM and asked about laying bike on side to fill oil filter? says it needs primed?? Two filters, two screens, whats up, he claims they are the best?? you`ll get used to it. By the way how do you compare your KTM to the Honda crf 450. I bought a ktm cause you can street legalize them EZ and electric start.

go4dirt

Sep 30, 2002
Thanks guys. I guess I have to get used to it. Got the SS filters already but need to get the washers and o-rings. Btw, there was no washer on my drainplug???

John:
I actually tried to buy a 520 EXC last year but got screwed by the dealer and couldn't get one within a resonable time frame so I opted for the CRF since I wanted a bike right away. The reson I didn't keep the CRF was that my body didn't like it as much as I did. Yes, it's powerful, light and nimble but the suspension is overly harsh on trails and that is really what I like the most. The really tight stuff was also hard on the CRF since 1st gear is pretty tall even with +3 on the rear sprocket and the tourque somewhat weak (compared to a 525 at least). I actually had problems riding with my buddies if they were in front of me since I couldn't go slow enough without getting stuck/stalling. The good thing was that it pushed my skills since I had to go faster then I would have otherwise. Could have fixed it with a suspension modification, wide ratio transmission, etc but it would have been fairly expensive and still red sticker and no e-start.

Kent2

Sep 17, 2002
So, what do you think of your 525 EXC?

I was worndering about the horsepower and handling.

I was thinking of getting one and I was wondering how much more I am going to notice out of it from my wr426.

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
There should have been a copper crush washer on your drain plug. Do NOT install the drain plug without it or you'll bung up the threads. It most likely fell into the oil pan you drained the oil into. It always does for me.

go4dirt

Sep 30, 2002
Since it's barely broken in I don't really know much yet. I have never been on a WR either so I can't really compare them to the EXC other then on paper and based on riding YZF's. My choice this time was between the WR450 and the 525EXC and I had to do it on paper since none of them were available for a test ride.

The reasons I went orange are:
- better ergonomics (Honda's and Yamaha's are fairly cramped)
- better components (less parts that needs to be changed immediately)
- no linked suspension to grease
- hydraulic clutch
- the WR450 is not out until early 2003
- I really like low end power and I don't want to make more noise then necessary to get it. The Yamaha's are really loud when they run well.
- out of pure curiosity, I simply wanted to try a new KTM
- ok, I'm from Europe (Sweden) as well so maybe that had something to do with it too ...
- AND - the green sticker = potential dual-sportability

The things I don't like with the 525 are:
- the price (ok, less components to change but still, you have to pay full retail and fees to get one at all, especially here in CA, I hate that)
- the oil change procedure is tedious
- it's fairly heavy
- you can tell (by a number of "interesting" design choices) that they don't have the same R&D budget as Honda and Yamaha.
- the manual could be better, part of it is due to the "creative" translation (no, I couldn't do it better :)

Top Bottom