5'5 Female at 120 lbs; looking for my first bike

peffer09

Mar 26, 2007
1) your physical size
5'5", 120 lbs
2) How physical / aggressive are you?
won't try any flips or anything crazy, but I'm pretty competative when it comes to speed
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
woods, fields, anything my friends try
4) Do you have any riding experience?
Just the one day that got me hooked
5) Do you think you will race ?
definitely, once I get a few laps under my belt
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
I can do the easy stuff (I work on my car)
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
I'm only familiar with the popular ones --> honda, yamaha, ktm, but no preferance as long as I can get parts fairly easily
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
don't know
9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike?
MAX 2500-3000 from the classifieds
10) Do you live in California?
NO
11) anything else that you think would help form an opinionI have been looking at a TTR125 and a Honda XR100, what are the main differences between a smaller to bigger cc? What are the advantages of a 2-stroke or 4-stroke?

THANKS!

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Since you have an interest in racing, the TTR and XR lines are not suitable. Your height and weight puts you on the small side for a full size MX bike, but I think that you are to tall for a mini. I think that either a 2-stroke 125 or 4-stroke 250 would be good for you if you are willing to be on your toes when you stop. There are several threads here discussing lowering methods. Also, there are a few members that are about your height.
Advantages/disadvantages of 2 vs 4 stroke have been heavily argued here in the past, so I will only skim the highlights.
2-strokes are viewed as lighter, cheaper to buy and maintain, easier to work on, harder to ride, and underpowered when compared to the "comparable" 4-strokes.
Bigger motors make more power (especially in the lower RPM range), trail/play bikes (such as the TTR and XR) are overweight, have poor suspensions, handle poorly, and don't have a lot of power, but they are dead reliable, requiring a minimum amout of maintenance when compared to a MX machine. I hope it helps, somebody will come along shortly with brand specific recommendations.

Pushin50

Dec 18, 2006
I have both the bikes you mention plus a CRF 150 and 230 and a CRF 250X (lots of riders in my house). The X would be a chore to learn on considering your size. The XR100 and TTR125 may be too small once you get some experience. The 150 and 230 are good allround bikes but they are not crazy fast like a race bike. Both models can be found with electric start (totally worth having). I would recomend the 150 or 230. They are both good starter bikes that will leave you room to grow.

Blackcat

Mar 9, 2007
Another possibility would be an 80 2stroke. If I had a GF your size that's what I would buy her. You can also pick them up pretty cheap used.

peffer09

Mar 26, 2007
I'm confused by being recomended a 80 (and I've seen that adults have these smaller bikes before). I just don't see how an adult rider can have a choice of an 80 and then on the other end of the scale a 230. Maybe I don't understand the numbers. Can someone explaine how the two bikes(and recomendation) differ?

Blackcat

Mar 9, 2007
The 80-85 is actually bigger then the XR 100 and the ttr 125 and it's much more suted for racing it's also a lot faster. The 80 is two stroke which means it produces more power with a smaller displacment. Which is why the 125 2 strokes race against 250 4 strokes. Get it now?

Jas_RM250

Aug 7, 2006
This is kinda funny Peffer!...I'm actually looking for a bike for my girlfriend, her first bike, and she's 5' 5" 120lbs.....in London Ontario as well! We looked at some bikes, some guy at Hully Gully (London bike shop) pointed us to a dual purpose Yamaha XT 225 until I told him we were looking for something that WASN'T boring and street legal....we looked at the DR-Z 125....main thing is, you don't wanna go way over your head, but at the same time, not too small cuz you don't wanna be 3 grand less rich and bored w/ a bike you regret buying. She is now bugging me to get an 80-85....I rode an RM80 for a summer when I was younger, and I was pretty tallish then too, they have serious get-up-and-go, LOADS of fun. Oh...a great bike shop with amazing service, is Inglis Cycle on McCormick St by McCormicks and Kellogs off of Dundas, they carry Kawasaki/Suzuki/Yamaha/Honda and usually have a decent line-up of used bikes. Check em out! www.ingliscycle.com

dpaxson

Sep 30, 2006
someone correct me if i'm wrong here but the reason that you can be recommended two bikes of very different displacements is for multiple reasons. First of all the 80 would be a two stroke race bike which makes if much more powerful and fast for it's size. also the 4 stroke trail bikes like the 230 have a lower seat height as they don't really need 8-12 inches of suspension travel like a full on race bike. but this is coming from a 15 year old so again someone please call me on it if i'm wrong

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
dpaxson said:
but this is coming from a 15 year old so again someone please call me on it if i'm wrong

Perfect!

A KX 100 might fit pretty well too. It has about a 34" seat height so you wouldn't out grow it. But it may be a hand full at first, due to the seat hight and power. It has been around long enogh to be available in your price range too.

Click below for 07 specs.
http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/Detail.aspx?id=152&content=specifications

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
2 strokes for life said:
Pushin50 beat me to it. The CRF150F and the CRF230F are great for your applications.

I'm not trying to bash anyones advice, but the CRF150F and CRF230F are both trail bikes. They are heavy and poorly suspended, basically old XR's with new plastic. You said you want to race, these are not race bikes.

CRF150F = 223 lbs
http://powersports.honda.com/motorc...lName=CRF150F&ModelYear=2007&ModelId=CRF150F7

CRF230F = 238 lbs
http://powersports.honda.com/motorc...lName=CRF230F&ModelYear=2007&ModelId=CRF230F7

KX100 = 150 lbs
http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/Detail.aspx?id=152

85cc MX bikes = around 145 lbs

A KX100 is a great choice. These bikes have a powervalve which helps lowend power. But these are also race bikes with great suspension, light weight and disc brakes.

Go to a dealer and sit on a few bikes to see what fits. My girlfriend is 5"5" and I bought her a 2003RM100. (same bike as the KX100 just in yellow plastic) This is her first bike, she had never riden before. She has never driven a car with a clutch before. These bikes can putt around the trails and scream on the MX track. Take my word for it, if you are aggessive, this bike won't disappoint you.

This is a great list of bikes with pro's and cons. LoriKTM compiled this. She explains the differences between trail bikes and MX bikes. I hate to use a cliche', but written by a woman for women.

http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=99796

Good luck, Steve.

Last edited:

MuddyBuddy

Nov 1, 2006
peffer09, I'm just over 5'4", weigh 125 (female) and I recently got a KX100 for a woods bike. I'm kind of in the same boat, on the big side for a mini, a little on the short side for a full size bike. The KX is a sweet little bike that is feather light. It might be a little intimidating at first, but it's a very capable little bike for you to start off on. I also have a DRZ250 that I use for dual sport rides, but it's very heavy and feels like a lumbering ox in the woods. Two strokes are much lighter, a little harder to learn on, but you'll be a better rider for it. Good luck.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
If you are seriously considering racing then I would recommend getting a serious MX bike. The Yamaha TT series is an "off road" bike and not intended for racing.

I would recommend checking out a track that you might race at and see what they offer as far as race catagories go and then buy a bike that fits the class you want to ride.

For example: Some organizations have a women's class and it doesn't matter what they ride.

Other organizations have classes that are strictly engine displacement without regard to 2 vs 4 stroke. You wouldn't want to have a 250 four stroke and be racing against 250 two strokes. Other organizations allow a 250 four to race against the 125 two strokes, in which case I would much rather have the 250 four. Still other organizations have enough riders that they can have the four stroke race other four strokes and keep the two's in their own class.

The classes for the 80 - 100cc bikes might be for youth classes.

I am a little concerned that you are thinking race after one day of riding. Of course, "race" can be a very broad term and there are plenty of run races that aren't as serious that you could enjoy riding just about anything. If being competitive was a goal then I would recommend something like a Yamaha YZ-125.

Rod

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I don't think a new rider that's 5-5 will get much joy from a 125 MX bike ....
Seems to me the KX100 suggestion is right on. Lower seat height, being able to be flat-footed, nice usable powerband vs a 80/85 or 125 for a new rider, but still fast, etc.

Top Bottom