Apr 26, 2000
Hi Rich,
I know it's off topic but I don't know anyone who understands and knows oil like you I figured I would ask. I just picked up a new car that recommends running 5w-20 and to be honest I'm a little nervous running this viscosity of oil having run mostly 5w-30 in the winter months and 10w-30 in the summer. It seems thin.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Cars used to take heavier oils that 30wt so it's just a matter of materials and tolerances getting better and tighter. If the manufacturer suggests the lighter weight there is a pretty good chance they have done the reliability testing to support their specification. Oil additive packages have gotten better over the years as well so it's just a matter of change. Now to talk out of the otherside of my head.... both my truck and my wife's Pilot spec 20wt but I use 30wt for 9 months out of the year because things are generally quite a bit hotter in my part of the world. She has somewhere around 80k on her Honda and it's not had any ill effects from my deviation from the spec.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Patman said:
Cars used to take heavier oils that 30wt so it's just a matter of materials and tolerances getting better and tighter. If the manufacturer suggests the lighter weight there is a pretty good chance they have done the reliability testing to support their specification.

Yes, that is what I have heard. My F150 (5.4L) manual specifies 5W-20 and that is all I have ever used…..for 85,000 miles. I am not qualified to second guess the team of engineers who designed, developed, and tested the engine in my truck.

B

biglou

FWIW I put 112k on my 2002 4.2 V6 and so far 26k on my 2007 5.4 running Motorcraft 5-20 semi synthetic exclusively year round with no issues whatsoever (knock on wood).

T_Bois

Sep 13, 2009
With out a doubt, oils have really improved and the manufacturing tolerances are so much better, then just 10 years ago.

The lighter weight oil will give you better mpg especially in cold temperatures, but look at the owners manual. There should be an operating temperature range and a recommended oil for that range. Also, the 5w-20 oil may not be suitable for extreme duty defined as constant high speed driving or towing, but the manual should cover this as well.

If you're really worried about it, use a synthetic oil; and as others have pointed out, if the manufacturer recommends it, it should be the correct thing to use.

Top Bottom