DR1V3R

Feb 5, 2006
ive been looking to buy a brand new 2 stroke(250)... ive been reading up and really havent found anything too be too definative on what to buy as a better bike.. yamaha seems to have alot of after market support.. which brand do you think is the best.. the only thing is ive ridden older RM's and they seem to be a little squirly compared to hondas and yamahas.. thanks for the opinions.

motoxracer1234

Uhhh...
Feb 4, 2006
You are probably better off getting a honda. Alot better of a bike i think. If you are going to be racing it has alot of power for it. Or if you are going to use it as a trail bike it has the good handling and suspension.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
I would never have bought a Suzuki before the late 90s but Roger DeCoster (used to be Honda team manager in 80s and 90s) moved to Suzuki along with Ricky Johnson, Johnny O'Mara, etc . . . Of course Ricky C. is there now. Build quality at Suzuki has gotten much better since late 90s - at least from every report I've read.

As I posted on another post the other day (these are the general handling reputations as I understand them):

Suzuki typically = great cornering, plush suspension (Showa forks)

Kaw typically = great straight line stability

Honda and Yamaha typically = combination of the two. Many times Honda is considered the best overall handling combination.

Motors are different year to year . . . Yamaha and KTM have been building really strong motors in recent years - not that any of the others are bad (save for some 2000-2004 CR125s . . .LOL).

I've owned Honda and Suzuki, my bro is a Kawasaki guy. I don't think you can really go wrong on any of the brands - they all last a long time if well maintained. It's really just personal preference. Each bike generally has it's own weak points. For example, Suzukis have tended to need stock clutch baskets replaced with Billet ones (but if you're going to race you're probably going to end up doing that anyway). My bro's 2000 KX250 has a bad plating in the cylinder which will flake off - Kawasaki fixed the problem in '02 or '03. His KX also needs the suspension bearings greased regularly - more so than some other bikes. . .

Similar to their cars, Hondas have a reputation for very good build quality and ergonomics regardless of whether that particular year's motor is any good or not.

ALL the brands have LOTS of aftermarket support.

Ride em and see what feels best TO YOU! :laugh:

Top Bottom