82 Honda CR250R Power Curve Problem

bleeds

Oct 17, 2005
Hey guys,
I just picked up this 82 Honda CR250R, and I cant seem to get the power curve right. Granted I havent changed any parts yet. I know the top end was just done on it, and it has real low time on it. Let me get str8 to the problem:

1.) Starts up easy enough, throttle response seems ok, but when you pull out, it goes something like, waa, sputter waaa, then all off sudden SURGE HARD AND STRONG for a quick moment... then sputter, sputter, SHIFT 2nd, waa sputter, then SURGE real strong.. and so on. Sorry for the crazy description. Also at the top end of the surge its like it loses power for a moment. It will idle, it will start, and I can bog it way down and gas it right up a hill with little or no effort.

2.)The clutch doesnt work all the time. With the engine off, I can put it into gear.. and pull the clutch and it is like I am not holding the clutch. I have adjusted the cable correctly no real amount of slack, things like that. I have noticed SOMETIMES, if I gas it right before I drop it into gear it will slip and release.. and then I can pull out normally. Also, I can gas hard..and dump the clutch and it will light the back wheel up.. so it isnt a slipping problem.

As I am new to working a DB's I have no idea what knobs to turn or wherr to jam a screwdriver. LOL.. I am thinking maybe reeds or somethign like that for the power curve issue.. but you tell me..
Please..
Bleeds

Last edited:

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Start with cleaning the carb and checking the reeds to ensure they are good. If the reeds are broken or splintered, they need replaced. As for the clutch, it sounds like its time for a new clutch basket as the fingers are grooved and not allowing the clutch to activate all the way. Since you are new to bikes, do a on-line search for a Clymar manual for your bike and purchase it. This will help to let you know where to put the screwdriver. ;)

Good luck! :cool:

bleeds

Oct 17, 2005
If I take the clutch basket out, is there something on the basket I can Inspect? I changed the clutch in my Yamaha XJ550 so I have a small amount of knowledge in the area, just not enough..LOL.
I will take the carb off tomorrow..and order the service manual too.

I am wanting a smooth, even power curve. Not looking for explosive hole ripping power..but I want to plod along, and not have to be gouging to keep the engine purring smooth.. LOL Any particular reed or website to buy them?>
Thanks again for your help..
Bleeds

bleeds

Oct 17, 2005
OK I took the carbs off and cleaned them real goodlike. Then re assembled them. I put them back on, changed the spark-plug, cranked her off one time.. and she fired up. Good sign? I would have to agree. I didnt however really find anything inside the carbs that would make me think that something was messed up, but who knows right?. It is idling very nice now (bang..bang..bang..) when I rev it up hard and short then follow with a quick rev hard.. it does bog some. I found (I think anyway) that by making very small adjustments to the little screw, that is not the idle screw, that the throttle responce seemed better. Is this true, or is it my imagination? :coocoo: Hopefully someone can give me aid there. Also, the reeds we clean, and didnt appear dmged in any way. They were not metal, they were what appeared to be fiberglass..But I cleaned them too. So I really wont know anything till I get out to the woods and play a little. Any ideas that will make an 82 Cr250R more trail friendly, and not a track beast!!
LOL
Bleeds
PS Thanks for your reply friend!

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Bleeds - sawblade is on the right track on both fronts. I had a 83 CR250 back in the day - great bike! I had a Krause Cannon pipe on it that made for a nice bottom end, and one outstanding mid range and strong top end.

Also make sure your air filter is clean and properly oiled (not excessively). Also consider jetting - it is possible the jetting is messed up - some of which is indeed the little screw you mention. that is the air screw. I have no clue what the stock setting is. Another easy change is the clip position on the needle - try one up or one down and see how it feels. From there it is main jets and pilot jets. Get a service manual and find out stock jetting for a good base line, see how far off you are and go from there.

Clutch - look at the sides of the "fingers" on the basket with the plates removed - chance are you will see some grooving - the plates can slightly catch on those grooves. You can try filing the fingers smooth (er), but understand that it will result in them grooving a bit more quickly next time around. (I have done that a number of times on various bikes - cheap way to extend the life of a basket)

Keep in mind you are trying to turn what was indeed a track beast MX bike into a trail bike - so it will have a definite power "HIT". Some aftermarket items may help. For a bike of that age, finding aftermarket stuff may be difficult - try some vintage MX web sites such as http://www.calvmx.com as a starting point. Beyond the carb issues, items such as flywheel weights or different pipes etc. are what can help with real smooooth power delivery. First step is getting that carb issue addressed.

bleeds

Oct 17, 2005
Thanks KTMmike. I rode this a little on the street where I live.. and I can really feel the "hit" in 3rd gear. HARD AND STRONG, but it sputters out at higher RPM only to come back HARD AND STRONG after the shift and midrange RPM. I might be asking too much, but I got this dang thing for next to nothing so I might at least try to make it work before I sell it and by me another Kimber 1911 .45 LOL I need to get it out to this little place full of trails and just see what the dang thing does. Hell, maybe I can trade it and add some cash and get me something more like what I am looking for.. we shall see...LOL
OR maybe the fair to poor running conditions will keep it detuned enough to ride a little without joining the broken bone and pride club..LOL
Bleeds

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Bleeds,
There may have been a small dirt particle in one of the jets. Its best to take the carb apart and blow out all the jets with an air compressor. What every you do, do not run a wire or other item through the jets as you can damage them. The screw you are describing is the air screw that effects throttle position from idle to maybe an 1/8 or 1/4 throttle.

Mike is right. It is a old MX bike that is going to have a good hit in the seat of the pants. If I remember correctly, I don't believe the 82 CR 250 had a power valve. So the motor will feel more like a toggle switch.

I wouldn't get carried away with replacement parts. It sounds like you have a good starter bike. When it comes time to upgrade to a newer bike, you may try sell the 82 on bay - E . Its crazy what some old bikes can bring on the bay.

bleeds

Oct 17, 2005
Yea, I figure it will be always quick..so I will just have to get used to it..LOL
Oh well.. going to hit the dirt saturday or sunday..so We will see..
Bleeds
Thanks for all the help guys

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom