Porter

Jan 2, 2001
I rebuilt my son's rear shock and it doesn't work well.It doesn't have alot of compression or rebound control.It feel's as if there is no dampening.The nitro was set according to the manual with 5 wt. shock fluid.The rebuild took the typical stuff-piston ring,head seals and shaft bushing.Because it never work properly,Im wondering if the shims/piston is in the right order.I replaced it the way I found it,but maybe that was wrong to begin with.It was nut,shims,piston,shock shaft.Has anybody seen the inside of this old style shock? Thanks for the help!

shockdoc

May 3, 2001
That shock had a different piston & shim design than current models. It would be easy to get a shim out of place & not have the piston face sealing against the shim stack. Take it back apart & inspect closely.

doc

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Yeah weve done them (noit mnany lately though ) How is the shock body ?, Is it worn out? Did you disassemble and check the bladder in the reservoir maybe it has a pinhole leak . Dirt rider is right those bikes were good bikes and the rear linkage system was a work of art . The motors were pretty strong too . Theres a guy out here in Jersey George Trapani that has a shop and he still races an 82 against the newer bikes in like expert hare scambles, he does very good but he also rides very well. Its a real hoot to see him racing against the newer bikes , actually he can ride whatever he wants but likes the old RM . Whenever I had to work on them they were always grenaded though. Ever think about racing Vintage ?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom