Snakeyes

Jun 26, 2003
I have an '84 XL200R. It starts up perfect, with full choke, and idles great. At idle, if you deprive it of its choke, it dies. It even dies down in revs at 3/4 choke.

With full choke, sitting in neutral, it goes up and down the powerband no problem. However, when I take it along the road (with full choke), it struggles to get up to speed, and doesn't get far beyond ~3,000 RPM. Once after riding for about 5 minutes, I decided this would be a good time to give it no choke, and I did, and the engine responded by nearly dying.

Also when in neutral and coming down from high revs, it backfires out the exhaust.

What gives?

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Originally posted by Snakeyes
[B
What gives? [/B]

Dirty pilot jet or pilot air system. Clean out your carb and be sure you can see daylight through your pilot jet. :thumb:

Snakeyes

Jun 26, 2003
Thanks a lot!

Admittedly I technically don't *own* it yet :(, but it's going to be a day project to help me get through the summer days when I can't ride. It won't be much to do, just take it apart down to the carb and make sure everything's perfect, maybe a little painting and body repair, whatnot. But it'll give me something to do with my hands, and it's good for something.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom