85 to 86 kdx200 cylinder swap

tknafla

Mar 14, 2003
I was wondering if the cylinder from an 85 kdx200 can be swapped onto a 86 kdx 200. The bolt patterns appear to align, my concern is with the CDI as apparently it is set up to work in conjunction with the KIPS system for the 86 bike. Thus, will the 86 CDI setup result in significant changes in the power characteristics of the bike with the KIPS system being absent.

majick

Mar 14, 2003
I believe the KIPS works on cylinder pressure and should not effect the spark of the bike , however the absence of the KIPS will indeed affect how it runs as it was a modification to change the powerband of the bike IE: more low end and mid range . without sacrificing top end , maybe somebody else can add some input also , hope this helps a little

Kawierider

Jun 7, 2001
I have not heard that it is possible....I know that an 86 will not fit my 85. So, i am assuming that it works the other way around too. I am assuming that it would be to drastic a change with the powervalves missing.
good luck
Tim
hey, do you have and 85' parts bike by any chance ? If you have the part you could try it i guess.

MX175

~SPONSOR~
Aug 20, 2002
From what I remember, there is a problem with how the '85 cylinder base will sit on the '86 cases. I'm not sure they will match. I think you could disassemble the KIPS on the '86 and if the cases could be modified to seal the cylinder, it might run, but probably not as well as you'd like. The man who would know is Jeff Fredette at www.frpoffroad.com. I think you need to find an '86 - '88 cylinder. Check out eBay or Jeff may have a spare.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…