86' Carb Float Level Update

KDXN200A1

Feb 20, 2003
After pulling the carb apart I realized that my carb is different than what was described in the feedback from my original post. I think both 86 and 87 had floats attached to the bowl instead of a direct attachment to the tang. All I need to do to prevent my gas leak, IMO, is bend the tang tab but I may just order the clymer manual to make sure I am approaching it right.

mulerider

Mar 21, 2003
You really shouldn't have to bend anything. Take it apart and remove the float needle assembly. The needle seat also should come out with a little coaxing. Inspect the rubber ring on the seat and inspect the needle itself. Use a magnifing glass and look for nicks, grooves etc. It maybe time to replace both the needle and the seat. I just sold my 86 and every year when I first got it out I always pulled the carb and checked these. Also do yourself a favor and put a small inline filter between the tank and carb. I have found all sorts of neat things stuck in the float needle, Pine needles, gas can plastic, dirt, you never know.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…