carney

Mar 17, 2004
Anybody have the following clutch specs handy for an '88 KDX 200:

Min. thickness for friction plates
Min. thickness for steel plates
Min. clutch spring free length

I know, I need a service manual. It's on the list, somewhere below bark busters and above rear brake upgrade. Besides it's fun to take things apart and then guess how to put 'em back together :ugg:

Thanks

dsndblm

Jul 12, 2003
Here are the specs out of my service manual. All are service limits. (Max)

Friction plates - 2.8mm 0.11 inches
Clutch Spring Lenght - 20.6mm 0.81 inches
Friction Plate/Clutch Housing Clearance 0.7mm 0.028 inches

carney

Mar 17, 2004
Thanks, dsndblm. I assume that spring spec must be the minimum compressed length, in case you add extra metal plates? The free length is more in the low 30's, 31.5 mm in my case. I had a little slippage the other day, but the PO left me with some very heavy (but fresh) oil in the case so I am hoping that was partially to blame. I say that for 2 reasons - because I also got the other symptom of too heavy of an oil - the kick starter did not want to engage sometimes, and also because it looks like everything is in spec. Although, when I pulled out the kick starter mechanism, I did find that the spring (92081-122) that tensions the kick starter ratcheting mechanism was not providing much force and the spring ends had expanded in diameter to the point that the inner end slipped past the retaining washer. Don't feel like waiting around for a stupid little spring, so I gave it a good stretch to put some more spring into it, and bent the ends back in. I'll report how it holds up, hopefully that will be to the next clutch job, when I will replace it for sure. I scuffed up all of the plates (metal and friction) with some 220 sandpaper and filed off the grooves in the clutch basket. Also replaced the bearing in the clutch pusher body (13091-1134), it was pretty sticky and had been turning on the shaft of the clutch pusher (13114-1008). Now, assembly is the reverse of removal :laugh: I'm going to try using ATF this time around and see how the clutch holds up, hopefully on a ride tomorrow afternoon.

carney

Mar 17, 2004
Compulsory follow up - glad to report that the clutch held up great on today's ride and the kick starter behaved properly. The plate clean up and fluid change seemed to do the trick. One note, make sure you replace all 6 of the 5mm x 20mm bolts that hold the clutch together anytime you get into the clutch, I noticed that the bolts on my bike were visibly stretched. Allright, after I tried to reuse them and the head snapped off of one I noticed :)

carney

Mar 17, 2004
I did use Dexron III ATF. So far I am much happier with it since the kick starter ratchet is now working properly, and I'm not kicking the foot peg any more. Long term durability is still TBD, but I doubt it will be a problem with the whopping 17 hp. I may add kanji or "Type R" stickers for more horsepower though.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom