88 KDX 200 Buying Questions

Loughty

Nov 24, 2002
I am going to look at a 1988 KDX 200 this week that I might be buying. I am not used to looking at 2 strokes, so I was wondering what things to watch out for, and potential problems to look for and notice. I plan on taking it for a ride to see if there is anything really noticable, but I am just looking for ideas on things that might not be as visually noticable.

Also, I was wondering how much work, and parts does it take to make a kdx street legal? I am in Idaho, and the main requirments are a head light and a brake light and a mirror. Are the Headlights on a older KDX bright enough for street use? Will the magneto put out enough juice to drive a light and a tailight? I ran a xr 200 on the road with a 35 watt bulb and about 80 watts of power. How much will the kdx 200 put out?
Thank you for any help or ideas that you have.
Loughty

tomcat

Dec 2, 2002
Ok first when you look at the bike be sure to look at the motor and the over all bike as you can tell if it has been thrashed or if it has been looked after, Check the fork seals to see if they are working, Make sure that their is no major oil leaks around the top end of the head part, If you can see if you can take the seat off to see the air filter If it is dirty it could be because the owner does not really look after it or that the motor has sucked in a lot of dirt dust, Remember to listen for any non-natural sounds like clacking of the motor( particuly the top end) And be sure that when you ride the bike remember to take it up through its gear (all of them just to see how it rides) If the kick starter slips on the inside cog when starting it ( It is no reall bad thing Cuz it only happens about 3 times out of ten kicks (depends on how bad the kicker is worn?

Remember to check the rear mono shock , by pushing down on it ,if the bike springs back up fast it means that it is blown so make sure that it feells like there is a dampener holding the spring back so that when you hit a jump/hump it wont fling you off the bike.
Thats all I can really help with you mate .

Loughty

Nov 24, 2002
Hey Tomcat, Thanks for the advice. I am have been looking at the tech tips to get a feel for the engines and what to expect. Hopefully I will be able to look the bike over tomorrow. Thanks for the help, hopefully it will turn out good.
Loughty

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…