Loughty

Nov 24, 2002
I am looking to buy a 1988 KDX200 and I am wondering what it would be worth. Also, whether it would be better to get it, or buy wait and buy a newer one. Any ideas/opinions on it.
Thanks
Loughty

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Average retail is $545.00, according to NADA. Since you posted no other details about condition that about all I can do to help.

Loughty

Nov 24, 2002
sorry about that. It is completely stock, good running and well taken care of. New tires, chain, and sprockets. Probably 70-80% condition, not new, but not abused either. Was 88 a good year for the KDX? I am kinda new to them.
Thanks,
Loughty

Kenneth. H

Oct 25, 2002
I just bought an 88 for $900. It is in great shape it is well worth the money. I am 40 years old and have been rideing a long time trust me you won't be disapointed with any year model KDX if it has ben well maintained.

dendrz

Nov 23, 2002
My first KDX when i lived in Ireland was an 87 model air cooled, never let me down, i playrode and rode enduros with it, i would love to find a clean one here in Canada, it would be a great buddie bike.
I had a 93 model over here and at present have a Zook DRZ-400S but that 87 brings back memories of fun times.

Loughty

Nov 24, 2002
Thats good to hear that the air cooled 200 doesnt have problems. Can the air cooled ones be ridden wide open (dry lake bed) or do they have to be run in short bursts? I have heard that the jetting leans out in the upper RPMs so I was wondering if that would cause any siezing problems.
Thanks,
Loughty

JCV 220R

Oct 13, 1999
My 1st KDX was a 1986 that I bought for $850 (and sold for $1300 !!!). It was bone stock and still on the original top end. That bike was fast! I was actually disapointed when I bought my brand new 1999 220 and it couldn't hang with the '86. Of course the 220 had that "tractor" bottom end but, in stock form it just didn't have the rip of the old girl. I believe the '86 was the last year without a powervalve so the '88 should have nice low end. If the price seems right, go for it.

JCV 220R

Oct 13, 1999
One more thing; there was a noticeable drop in performance on hot days after some hard riding. For the right price, I'd still own another one.

Loughty

Nov 24, 2002
what would be a reasonable price for the 88? The one in question is being sold for 1000. I am was wondering because I see ones that are a few years newer with the kx frame and water cooling for about 1500. Would waiting for one of these be better?
Thanks
Loughty

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
You can always barter and then show the actual listed price. His selling it for $450.00 over list is to try and recoup some of the $ invested in the bike. Personally I wouldn't pay more than $200.00 over book no matter what someone had done to it. $1000.00 would get you a newer ride and no steamed discussions with a hurt seller.

Loughty

Nov 24, 2002
Thanks for all of the good price advice. I will keep it in mind when I go to look at it on Thursday. And who knows, he has had it for sale for about 3 months now, so he might be motivated.
Thanks,
Loughty

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Good Luck, and be sure to let us know what happens,

Loughty

Nov 24, 2002
I took a look at it, and it runs good, before it warmed up, it had a little trouble at lower RPMs and felt like the choke was on at higher RPMs. After a little riding (like 3 min) it felt a lot better and went through the gears very well. It still has the digital trip ometer and clock. Started easily and idled well. Only thing I noticed is some oil spray from the exaust pipe/head seal, looks like an exhaust leak. And the exhaust pipe has some oil around the very end of it. Are those potential problems? Or just something that goes along with gas/oil mixes. Also, it is a white KDX, are those worth any more than the standard Kawa Green?
Thanks,
Loughty

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Hey Lought - Those "probs" are normal for a bike that age. A new pipe to jug seal and you r in... Did you by any chance take a close look at the mono and mono/link/swingarm bearings/spokes/rear hub ass/. There is ALOT more potential probs besides the motor! This stuff adds up real fast and if your not careful you can easily be in the "newer bike" price range. I personally like the previous quote about being 200 over NADA MAX (of course this is not always easy to find)!!! If you could get it for $650 that seems about right. Of course there are still a few exceptions out there. I bought a 91 KDX250 that was prestine!! The original paint was still unscratched abouve the footpegs!!! I paid 13 for it and it was WELL worth it to ME!!!!! Just know exactly what you are buying BEFORE the cash crosses the line!!!!
Woodsy

Loughty

Nov 24, 2002
I took a look at the rear susspension and linkage. It looked very clean, and when I rode it, I didnt feel any slop or chatter or anything that indicated that the suspension or linkage had any problems. The shock rebounded well and the dampner works well. I could compress it, and the rebound was nice and smooth. Steering was good and there wasnt any play in the steering bearings. Plastic is all good. Only down is the paint by the footpegs is rubbed off, but I expected that. It does need new rubber boots between the airbox and carb and the carb and jug. The rubber is starting to crack on the outside. I think that I will be able to get him down to 500-600. If you know of anything for me to check, I am going to probably go back on Monday.
Thanks,
Loughty

Kawierider

Jun 7, 2001
hey, Im the owner or an 85 kdx......Check the swingarm, linkage, and wheel bearings while the bikes is on a stand. if there is any up and down slop, adjust the price, they run about 40 bucks to replace (both swingarm bearings , or the linkage bearings) also when you run the bike double check that no clanking is coming from the lower engine case. kdx's make some noise, but if it is from low in the engine and excessive be weary. Remeber to ask if he has gone with an over-bore kit at anytime and ask what size piston he has in the motor.
I love kdx's but these are al problems i have had with my bike, i bought it for 400 dollars as a restoration project. The kdx is a great bike but remember to ask the right questions. I tend to believe i got a good deal because of the fact that i unknowinly bought a kdx240. I found this out when i pulled the enginge because of the clanking noise and realized the piston was 83 mm.....much larger than stock.
Good luck, the kdx is a great bike and it sounds like your headed in the right direction as far as a good price for a great bike.
Tim

Johnnyboy

Aug 25, 2001
Also make sure all the electrics work and dont take a blown bulb for an excuse. If none of the lights work the stator is gone and that will set you back $100. The bottom end on mine clanks a little bit and has since I have owned it but it runs great and makes awesome power. It is tough to overheat it. You have to be doing first and second gear runs at a hill for 5 min or so before it will start pinging. I have an 83 which was the first year for the KDX 200 and it is the most reliable bike I can imagine. I ride with all XR's (known for their reliability) and my KDX has been more reliable than all of them. Each XR has had it's big breakdown and mine has ALWAYS gotten me home. Hearing everyone's comments on how much they loved their old KDX's is making me misty. I think I'll fix her up instead of buying a newer KDX.
Love that bike

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom