89 KDX200-Neglected plastics-need advice

Canon

Nov 17, 2001
Howdy all! Just picked up an 89 KDX200 with a tight engine, but
neglected cosmetically. I would like to resurrect the looks of this bike but am amazed at the prices for oem plastic. I have already picked up the front number plate that encircles the headlight, and would like to pick up the rest, including both fenders, side number plates, and radiator shrouds. Does anyone sell the plastic for this bike as a package, or must it all be purchased seperately? Would also like opinions on the best plastic restorer/cleaner for the gas
tank.

Also looking for 89 kdx seat cover. Kawasaki has entire seat only....and for BIG bucks. Gonna start tearing her down to the frame soon, so any help will be greatly appreciated. :ugg:

MisShift

May 11, 2001
Whenever I need a part and dont want to pay new $$$ for it, I check Ebay. Just go to Ebay and type in KDX in the search area and it'll give you a list of all parts that fit a KDX........SWEET!

Canon

Nov 17, 2001
Thanks for all of the replies. If anybody has had success in locating a reasonable seat cover for an 89, drop me a line sometime. Am thinking about making a website to cover the before during and after of this project, and possibly post pictures of some of the KDX's you people ride, old or new.
We will see.

Am sure I will be begging for more advice in the near future. Thanks for this ultra valuable website. :)

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Side Panels (Number plates) from a KX500 will fit. Also, seat covers for a KX 500 will fit too. If you look at Factory Effex's graphics kit with seat cover for a KX500 you can use that seat cover and make the graphics fit with a little trimming.

We put some new plastic on my brother's 90 model. The side panels that we got were UFO and for a KX500. You need to look from shop to shop and see what old "new" stuff they still have laying around.

You can loose the extra large front fender and replace it with the current Kaw front fender. The one for KX125/250 is the same as the current KDX 200 and will fit the old KDX 200. When you do this, the the Factory Effex fender tip graphic set for KX125/250 will fit on your new fender.

Any of the aftermarket headlight shells will work. I have the Acerbis DHH CE and the green is a good match. The rubber band holders fit well for right side up forks.

The tank will be tough, you should try and use the current tank and giving it a good polishing job with plastic renew.

Good luck!

Canon

Nov 17, 2001
I am amazed at the response from all you
people. Thanks a ton. Never underestimate
the value of this board. Heres to it's longevity!
:)

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Here's a link of what the KX500 graphic kit looks like. Notice, that you will have to do some trimming to the tank and shroud graphics. I've seen this on somebody's bike at a race, an it look really good.

http://www.factoryeffex.com/800wide/KX02-9723.jpg

on this page, you'll find the part number for the OEM graphic for the '94 KDX 200. (In the picture, they show the '93 graphic, but labeled it '94. You'll actually get the '94 graphic that has the purple in it, not the blue.)

http://www.factoryeffex.com/oemgraphics.htm

Top Bottom