'89 YZ250W/RW info wanted

68supreme

Apr 18, 2004
I have several questions and if anyone can answer any of them I would greatly appreciate it. I'm a mechanic, but my background is mainly in cars so I'm trying to get up to speed on dirt bikes. I just got a freebie bike and from what I can tell it is a '89 Yamaha YZ250. It doesn't run, the ignition coil lead to the plug is cut and the clutch appears to be frozen (has sat for a long time) but everything is there and not in too bad of shape. The engine spins freely and has compression. My questions are as follows:

1) Is there any way to decode your exact VIN? For cars there are plenty of sites that will do it but I can't find any for motorcycles.

2) Whats the difference between a W and a WRW bike and how do you tell? The P/N for the frame and seat are the only things I have found so far that are different.

3) Is there any place to find a test procedure for the ignition components? I was told the bike was always hard to start and that it was in the ignition. I figure the carb could also be part of the problem, but I have the cut coil wire and I'm not getting any spark so I've got to get the ignition sorted first. Before I buy anything I would like to know the component is definately bad.

TIA

Mike
Bostwick, GA

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…