devries

Aug 9, 2001
I have a 1990 cr 500 that doesn't want to start...when kicked over about 5 times the engine will let out a big bang....there is some combustion within the engine because the exhaust pipe will get warm to the touch. It has a brand new engine(bored,piston,rings) and new fmf gnarly pipe and powercore silencer. I have a feeling that it is the carb....will the clip position on the neddle jet make a big difference?
thanks for your time.

keith500r

Jul 27, 2001
I have a 96 that gives me some trouble starting, and it lets out the 'big bang' also. Mine always starts eventually and I think my problem is mostly that my leg isnt strong enuff yet (just got mine). Mine seems to start better with no throttle, or very little. also I dont use the choke much. You may be flooding it as it seems I get the 'big bang' more often when I use the choke or too much throttle. Hopefully this post will bring out some carb experts and maybe we can figure this out.

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
Sounds like the timing is off. I helped my boyfriend go through the carbs on a friend's bike (streetbike) and it did about the same thing. He adjusted the timing and it fired right up. Now, how you adjust the timing is another question and I can't answer that!

As for starting the bike, I can only start my 94 if I follow the primer drill:

Gas on, full choke on.
Lean it over to the left until some gas comes out the vent tube.
Stand it up and let just the weight of my foot bring the kickstarter down 3 or 4 times.
Bring it back up and KICK it - no throttle.

If it doesn't start in 3 kicks, I start over but hold the kill button down while doing the slow kickstarter prime.

Usually fires right up by the second go around, even in cold weather.

BTW, it isn't necessarily leg strength, it's more technique. Heck a little ole girl like me can do it, once you get the technique down. (Of course I have never lacked in leg strength ;) )

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
The big 500s are known for shearing the woodriff key that holds the flywheel in-position on the crank-remove the flywheel (with a special tool thats cheap and can be bought at most motorcycle tool stores)and you may notice damage to the key-this will throw the timing off.Occasionally this can make them run backwards.Good fun-500 power 2nd gear on the start line with full revs, dump the clutch then wham everyone else rips forwards and you go 2* as fast backwards:scream:

TravisCR500R

Mar 21, 2001
Try this

I have a 95 CR500r and it kicks first time.
Heres how...........
Get a big hammer...oh wait...thats for a Harley. Gas ON. Choke ON. Do not dry kick the bike or "slow stroke" it with the kill on. Just bring the piston up to the "compression" point (you folks familiar with 500's know what this is).
DO NOT KICK START YET!! s-l-o-w-l-y bring the piston to the "next compression" point and then kick. By bringing it up to the 2nd point, you dont have to kick through the compression stroke (i call it stroke for simplicity its really more like 1/4th of a stroke) to get a spark, the second point is right when the spark plug will fire. Boom-bam!
You can use a touch of throttle if it needs it. Mine doesnt it idles like a dream and fires right up!
Naturally if your bike is a leaky Hore-ga, then this method is probably not for you...you should try the previously mentioned method!! Hehe just kidding.
Never hit your bike...it will remember and "return the favor".
This might work for most or none but this is how it goes for me...ho hum.
Travis R.

TravisCR500R

Mar 21, 2001
One more thing...

the big bang might be ignition short, but sounds like its late. i had an old Husqvarna that randomly shorted the ignition and after i kicked about 30 times there was so much gas in the pipe that the ignition decided to fire and subsequently split the pipe. Big bang!
devries...do a search on carburetor tuning. and buy erics book. its the bible for us gearheads!
I just wish buying the book automatically got you a little picture next to your screen name! DAMN@ oh well
Travis R.

keith500r

Jul 27, 2001
Traviscr500r - your trick works great! thanks. It seems to work every time and fires on the first kick. you can tell when you have the piston at just the right spot, you can feel the compression point and it feels like the kickstarter kinda locks in place. then I just bring it back up and give a full kick. works great!

bruno670

Sep 13, 2006
here is the answer you are looking for starting a CR500. I have owned several for the past 19 years!
Tip the bike over until you see gas run out of the carb overflow, pull the choke on .Put the bike in gear rock it back and forth moving the piston up and down. bring the piston up on compression and give it one h*ll of a kick . should start first or second kick. if it doesn't you may have to change the plug. but this has worked for me every year even if it sits for 3 months!!!

Punkin

Jul 12, 2005
I don't have enough posts to pm, and I don't want to stir up any trouble.
Take a moment and visit CR500riders(dot)com. I know some attitudes run pretty high over ther but there is lot's of good info and the only thing you won't be able to do is acsess the pers profiles and such.
Punkin \o/

jason33

Oct 21, 2006
well mine does the same thing!!! -lol
travis cr500 is right about the kicking position! top dead center-past one click -then a full kick!!-
if flooded or out of fuel this bike suxxxxxxs-lol
mine is piped jetted bored, reeds ect... it still poped like what you said- i fouled 1 plug in 5 years!!! if the plug burns tan its good mostly- my pilot might be a lil rich but it ran so good i never messed with it

countryboy-- as for the idle- turn the choke nob closed ,then turn it out around 36 clicks-open (counter clockwise) from the closed position :cool:

Last edited:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom